March 29th, 2008
Last year I discovered British drone master Paul Bradley. This year it's the beautiful drones of David Tagg. I have two of his recordings now, "Expanding Electronic Diversity" & "Waist Deep Seas Of Milk". Two excellent albums.
So because I've been listening to more drones than usual I've decided to do a drone mix. Nothing extraordinary here, just one drone slowly slipping into the next.
Most of the music here is fairly new. Almost all of it released this year or last, except of course for the Aloof Proof, which almost counts as new because of the reissue last year. This was fairly easy to put together but it flows nicely. Should be excellent for sleeping.
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00:00 Paul Bradley - Irenic
- 05:45 Stars of the Lid - Virgina
- 09:00 Andrew Chalk - Suspended in Air
- 14:00 David Tagg - Waist Deep in Seas of Milk #6
- 20:30 Emeralds - arbol del tule
- 28:05 Belong - Vowel
- 35:00 Nelson Foltz & Tom Lynn - still life interlude
- 43:00? David Tagg - The 25th Door
- 49:30 Aloof Proof - The Last Leaf
- 59:30 Paul Bradley - Chroma #1
- 02:30 The Beautiful Schizophonic - cantiques la gloire du soleil
March 24th, 2008
I had already started this mix when our guest mixer, Jason, sent me his "Satellite" mix. I hadn't thought of satellite = moon until I saw his pic for the mix. So it's kind of funny that the next mix to be posted is a moon mix.
I did this one the way I've done some mixes in the past, all the tunes have the word "moon" in the title. Came up with an interesting collections of tracks. It would have been fun to use more of the vocal cuts like Nick Drake - Pink Moon or Cowboy Junkies - Blue Moon, but I guess I wanted it to be mostly ambient. So only one vocal tune gets used & that's "Moon River" by Petra Haden And Bill Frisell to close out the mix. I think my favorite tune is the first one by Belbury Poly, it sounds like it could be used in some old sci-fi moon flick.
Hope you enjoy the mix.
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00:00 Belbury Poly - The Moonlawn
- 04:00 Robert Davies - Moon Chart
- 07:40 Jefre Cantu-Ledesma - Our Way was Lit by Moonlight
- 13:00 Lisa Gerrard - Liquid Moon
- 16:00 Djivan Gasparyan - Moon Shines at Night
- 17:45 Rain Tree Crow - New Moon at Deer Wallow
- 19:36 Rumklang - Moonlight Walking
- 21:40 Maps & Diagrams - Man in the Moon
- 22:35 Alva Noto & Ryuichi Sakamoto - Moon
- 27:35 The Green Kingdom - Broken Moonbeams
- 32:40 Steve Roach - Moonshroud
- 40:10 Jefre Cantu-Ledesma - Phases of the Moon
- 44:05 Susumu Yokota & Rothko - Floating Moon
- 46:15 Petra Haden And Bill Frisell - Moon River
March 16th, 2008
This new mix is something different. It is a guest mix courtesy of a listener/downloader in Ireland.
Jason is an electronic music producer who discovered new artists such as Tim Hecker, Fennesz & Murcof through some Low Light mixes. He said "Stunning artists, I never knew music could sound so minimal yet full."
It is an excellent mix. Jason has put together an hour-long mix of "some of my favorite trax from a few of the artists I've grown to love over the past year." It starts out nice & dreamy then gets a bit noisey, but in a good Tim Hecker way. It smooths out again then brings back some Hecker & Murcof noise before ending quietly with Fennesz & Sakamoto. A fine mix from start to finish.
I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00.00 "amb" Rafael Toral
- 1.20 "the Mouthchew" Stars of the Lid
- 4.28 "Reciting the Airships" Eluvium
- 8.00 "Crossing Signals" Manual
- 9.23 "Faces (Where Are You Now)" Stendeck
- 12.47 "Going Dark" EchaSkech
- 13.24 "Fractales Pt.2" Apparat
- 14.48 "Blood Rainbow" Tim Hecker
- 17.32 "Remove the Inside" Belong
- 22.56 "Junitaki" Manual
- 24.50 "Dizzy Sun" Manual
- 27.57 "I'm too Sleepy, shall we swim?" Belong
- 32.05 "Even (out) +" Stars of the Lid
- 35.00 "Chimeras" Tim Hecker
- 36.50 "Pillowcase" Dntel
- 39.00 "The Point of it all" Fennesz
- 42.33 "Radio Spiricom" Tim Hecker
- 44.45 "Cosmos II" Murcof
- 53.30 "Kuni" Christian Fennesz & Ryuichi Sakamoto