June 29th, 2008
I listen to music every night when I go to sleep. Most of the time I keep a small stack of recent cd's on the nightstand for nighttime listening. I was getting tired of the selections so I dug into the back catalog & pulled out Steve Roach's Structures from Silence. Wow, it was great to hear that recording again!
That lead me to pull out a couple of other oldies, which then lead to this mix. All the music in this mix, retroact 1.0, is at least 10 years old. Structures from Silence is from 1984! The Aphex Twin cut is from 1994. I cheated with a couple of tracks, such as Tollefson & Vidna/Pearce, that are from 1999.
It was wonderful to listen to albums I hadn't heard in years. I had forgotten just how great Saul Stokes Washed in Mercury is. I am very happy to have worked in Thom Brennan's The Path Not Taken, one of my all-time favorite ambient tracks. This mix is not supposed to represent a certain time period or demonstrate evolving styles. It's just a bunch of older cuts that I sort randomly pulled out & thought would work well together. I hope you enjoy this ambient trip down memory lane.
T R A C K L I S T I N G :
- 00:00 Brian Eno - Sparrowfall 1 
- 01:00 Aphex Twin - rhubarb 
- 08:00 Steve Roach - Structures from Silence 
- 17:20 Biosphere - Chukhung 
- 23:55 Saul Stokes - Sweet Parafin 
- 26:40 Brian Eno - Sparrowfall 2 
- 28:05 Vidna Obmana & Jeff Pearce - A Scattering Flock 
- 31:35 David Tollefson - Maja 
- 36:10 Paul Schutze - Sleep 2 
- 43:30 Thom Brennan - The Path Not Taken 
- 55:40 Jeff Greinke - Glacial Returns 
- 01:21 Brian Eno - Sparrowfall 3 
June 7th, 2008
I was having a tough time coming up with an idea for a new mix. The shortwave mix, a drift on the signal, is one of my favorite mixes so I decided to do a sequel.
And thus, through ionospheric transit, comes...a ghost in the phase. The formula is pretty much the same as before, a nice mixture of real shortwave radio recordings & ambient music with shortwave elements. Most of the shortwave stuff comes from the Shortwavemusic blog. That's the same source I used for the last shortwave mix. It's run by Myke Weiskopf. Here are a couple of his other sites... Myke Weiskopf & Myke's Live Journal
Lots of cool sounds at all three sites.
After the last shortwave mix a listener said it reminded him of Tetsu Inoue's World Receiver. How could I have forgotten that disc?! This time I made sure to include it. It's such a fantastic recording. You can buy it from Infraction records . Another excellent release that made it into the mix is the new one from Steven Mathieu called Radioland. Check it out.
The Entia Non & krill.minima & Unproduct cuts are all available for free download.
The times in this tracklist are just approximations. Sometimes there are several cuts playing at once, things fading in & out, etc.
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00:00 - Pulse Wave FX & JBO Tokyo Radio
- 00:16 - Entia Non - Cultural Plagiarism
- 01:28 - Fennesz - A Year in a Minute
- 04:33 - Myke Weiskopf - Shortwave Condensation
- 05:55 - Djivan - dle yaman
- 06:56 - Cairo Radio
- 07:45 - Punkt - Speechless
- 08:24 - Cairo Radio
- 09:13 - Rod Modell - Aloeswood
- 12:38 - Tetsu Inoue - Elevator Drops
- 19:05 - Steven Mathieu - Aufder Gasse
- 22:45 - Fennesz & Sakamoto - Aware
- 26:37 - Radio RASD
- 26:54 - My Fun - Signal Drift
- 29:06 - Felicia Atkinson with Sylvain Chauveau - Aberdeen
- 34:11 - Chris Bissonnette - Traveling Light
- 40:00 - WEWN
- 40:46 - Post-Soviet Melancholia Pt. V: "Мой Рок и Ролл" via Russian International Radio
- 42:40 - krill.minima - Projektor
- 45:34 - Myke Weiskopf - The Grotesque
- 46:23 - Unproduct - Radio Canvas 3
- 46:52 - numbers
- 47:40 - pulse transmission
- 50:30 - Rameses III - Origins IV May 25, 2007
- 53:20 - Steven Mathieu - Radioland
- 02:30 - Pulse Wave FX
June 6th, 2008
It rained all day yesterday & it seemed to really bring out the frogs tonight. So I went to the pond across the street & recorded some frog vocalization. Nothing spectacular here, it's just 2:45 of frog sounds. But it's still cool.