February 23rd, 2012
I guess you could say that all the music I listen to is a soundtrack of one sort or another. Soundtrack for cleaning the house, soundtrack for sleeping, for biking, for reading, for living. Most of my mixes could be considered to be mini soundtracks.
So what makes this one different? I guess the tracks collected here just sort of had that "soundtrack" feel when I first heard them. I imagined a scene from a film with the tune as the soundtrack. The tracklist then becomes a set of "imaginary soundtracks."
Some of the cuts, such as those from Cliff Martinez & Clint Mansell, are from actual soundtracks. The others just seemed to fit the mood.
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00:00 Cliff Martinez - First Drive Home
- 00:40 James Murray - Greenlands
- 04:25 Vieo Abiungo - Insincerity peeked through Cloudlessly...
- 06:51 Roly Porter - Caladan
- 09:20 Jacaszek - Orszula
- 12:22 Olafur Arnalds - lag fyrir oemmu
- 15:45 Craig Armstrong - Starless
- 20:00 Max Richter - Fictions & Data
- 21:40 Popol Vuh - Grab der Mutter
- 23:55 Jon Hopkins - Opalescent
- 25:10 Emanuele Errante - Memoirs
- 30:25 Ryan Teague - Cell Cycle
- 34:16 Clint Mansell - We're Not Programs Gerty
- 36:55 Peter Broderick - No More Space
- 37:36 Johann Johannsson - They Being Dead yet Speaketh
- 40:35 Biosphere - Iberia
- 44:07 Maya Beiser - Only Breath
- 45:50 Cliff Martinez - See You in Four
- 47:33 Jon Hopkins - Fairytale
- 52:15 end
February 13th, 2012
Ambient dub, minimal dub, ambi-dub, whatever you want to call it, is something that I listen to every now & then. I like making mixes with this music because the tracks flow so well together.
I've done three previous dub mixes and while they are all laid back, this one may be more so. It collects some dubby cuts & weaves in some noise & washes of field recordings from the fantastic ambi-dub recording, "DeepChord presents Echospace - Liumin." The bonus cd for that album is all the field recordings that were the source material for the tracks on the other disc.
Not all the cuts are straight up dub tracks, but they do all fit together nicely. Almost all the tracks are new with the exception of the krill.minima & Plastikman tunes.
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00:00 Andy Stott - Submission
- 01:10 Sven Schienhammer - Sound Signals for Other Planets
- 04:15 Bop - My Heart in a Freezer
- 06:10 Demdike Stare - Matilda's Dream
- 09:50 Resoe - Edith's Serenade(r.i.p)
- 13:52 Overcast Sound - Devil's Mountain
- 14:25 Robag Wruhme - Brucke Eins
- 14:25 Deepchord - Untitled #1 (runs concurently)
- 15:50 Vatican Shadow - missing hmm364 squadron purple foxes assassins
- 18:05 Moritz Von Oswald Trio - Pattern #4
- 20:35 Demdike Stare - Nothing But The Night 2
- 22:50 Marow - Iridescence
- 24:15 Coppice Halifax - Sunken Dancehall
- 29:35 Sven Schienhammer - Being Immersed in Another World
- 35:55 Deepchord - Untitled #7
- 36:40 krill.minima - Princess of the Undersea Gardens
- 40:35 Koss - Monday Conversations
- 42:55 Coppice Halifax - Luxury
- 47:50 Plastikman - cor ten
- 50:10 Sven Schienhammer - Back Into The Here & Now
- 54:30 krill.minima - sommerdellen
- 57:45 end
February 5th, 2012
I absolutely love NPR music. The host of their All Songs Considered podcast is Bob Boilen. I've heard him describe music as "Sunday morning music." I'm not exactly sure what that is but I think I know when I hear it.
I'd been thinking about doing a Sunday mix for some time and then I heard Wilco's song "One Sunday Morning" & immediately loved it & had to start a mix so I could use that tune in it.
This mix is a collection of both vocal & instrumental tunes, that hopefully will work well with sitting at the kitchen table, drinking coffee & reading the paper. Sunday mornings always make me think of jazz so I included a couple of jazz tracks in the mix.
Time to go brew another pot.
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00:00 Chandanam - Silk
- 02:00 Bon Iver - Perth (the Polish Ambassador remix)
- 08:23 Wilco - One Sunday Morning
- 16:53 Daniel Lanois & the MDH Band - The First Time(reprise)
- 18:55 Nick Drake - From the Morning
- 21:17 Keith Jarrett & Jack DeJonette - Pastel Morning
- 23:12 Charlie Haden & Hank Jones - Going Home
- 27:12 Gem Club - Twins
- 31:20 Harmonia 76 - When Shade was Born
- 32:35 Harold Budd & Clive Wright - Sunday After the War
- 36:15 Marsen Jules - Lazy Sunday Funerals #3
- 38:12 Dizzy Gillespie - Come Sunday
- 41:00 Leonard Cohen - Going Home
- 44:10 S. Carey - Move
- 46:52 Seu Jorge - Life on Mars(Bowie Cover)
- 50:12 Charlie Haden & Hank Jones - Come Sunday
- 53:43 end