March 23rd, 2012
This is my 5th "sea" mix. I guess ambient artists really like the imagery & sounds of the sea. Me too.
This one is very similar to the other "sea" mixes. A lot of white noise accompanies you as you drift on the swells of "a further sea."
Most of the music is fairly new, especially nice is the new release from 36 - "Lithea". It's another excellent recording from Dennis Huddleston. Definitely check out all the releases by 36!
Also playing a prominent role in this mix is music from Maps & Diagrams - "Get Lost". I love this album from Time Released Sound. The whole recording is like an ambient sea voyage.
The "sea" mixes are some of my favorites and I hope you enjoy this addition to the series.
T R A C K L I S T :
March 4th, 2012
I've been on kind of a moon binge lately. It started with watching HBO's excellent series, "From the Earth to the Moon." Then I read "We Reach the Moon," a book written in 1969 by John Noble Wilford, the NYT science reporter.
Next I moved on to the wonderful film, "For All Mankind." It's the story of the men who went to the moon, told in their own words. Beautiful images and of course Eno's remarkable soundtrack, "Apollo : Atmospheres & Soundtracks".
So my head has been stuck on the moon in 1969. And that is the genesis of this mix, 1969. All the music used in this mix is either from 1969, related to the moon or both.
I know it may a bit of a cliche to start with Kennedy's moon speech at Rice University but I love that speech & that part still gives me chills. 11 of the tunes are actually from 1969 :
- Bowie - Space Oddity
- King Crimson - Moonchild
- Miles Davis - Sanctuary
- Pink Floyd - Sysyphus
- Terry Riley - Poppy Noggod
- Genesis - In the Beginning
- Soft Machine - Spaced
- Don Cherry - Man on the Moon
- Philip Glass - Music in Contrary Motion
- Mort Garson - Walking in Space
- Beatles - Across the Universe (covered by Phosphorescent)
It's interesting how many of them had moon or space themes. I guess that is where everyone's mind was at the time.
I just had to include a couple of cuts from Eno's "Apollo:Atmospheres & Soundtracks" and from the new Air release, "Le Voyage Dans La Lune." It's a soundtrack Georges Méliès’ short classic, "A Trip to the Moon." It was originally released in 1902 & has been restored in color with Air's new soundtrack.
Also included in the mix are three tunes from a netlabel album by Re-Drum called "1969". All the tracks on the album were made by using sampled music from the year 1969. These are the cuts that I used & the source material used to make those cuts...
1. Time : King Crimson - Moonchild Including The Dream And The Illusion Herbie Hancock - The Prisoner (Alternate Take) Sly & The Family Stone - You Can Make It If You Try Quincy Jones & Bill Cosby - Hikky-Burr Frank Zappa - The Gumbo Variation Booker T & The MG's - Michelle Zephyr - Hard Chargin' Woman Lou Donaldson - Donkey Walk John MacLaughlin - Pete The Poet Herbie Hancock - The Prisoner The Doors - The Soft Parade
2. The Last Breath : The Moody Blues - Eyes Of A Child, Part 1 Zephyr - Somebody Listen Isaac Hayes - By The Time I Get To Phoenix (voice) Internet Anticipation 1969
3. Armstrong : Lonnie Smith - Eleanor Rigby Kool And The Gang - Give It Up Pink Floyd - The Narrow Way (Part 3) The Rolling Stones - Live With Me Voice: First Moon Landing
This was another fun mix to put together, I hope it's a fun listen as well.
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00:00 John Kennedy - "We choose to go to the moon" speech
- 00:00 Apollo 11 l- anding on the moon
- 00:58 Boards of Canada - 1969
- 04:47 David Bowie - Space Oddity (Sébastien Bédé Remix)
- 07:20 David Bowie - Space Oddity continues (demo version)
- 09:50 King Crimson - Moonchild
- 13:25 Miles Davis - Sanctuary
- 18:00 Air - Moon fever
- 21:12 Pink Floyd - Sysyphus part 4
- 23:20 Terry Riley - Poppy Nogood and the Phantom Band
- 28:25 Genesis - In The Beginning
- 31:55 Soft Machine - Spaced Seven
- 33:10 Re-Drum - Time
- 36:45 Don Cherry - Man on the Moon
- 39:10 Air - Seven Stars
- 42:50 Re-Drum - The Last Breath
- 46:15 Philip Glass - Music in Contrary Motion
- 48:10 Mort Garson - Walking in Space
- 50:10 Brian Eno & Daniel Lanois - Silver Morning
- 52:26 Phosphorescent - Across the Universe(Beatles cover)
- 57:21 Re-Drum - Armstrong
- 1:00:03 Eno - Always Returning
- 1:03:46 end