April 22nd, 2012
The music in this mix has a strange, sort of alien feel to it. The pieces are a bit darker, but not creepy or annoying. But they do all have a weird other-worldly sense to them.
This started with the first track, "We Swallowed the Night" by Anduin. It just sounded vaguely alien and a bit threatening. So from there I decided to construct a mix around that feeling.
When I make mixes I collect tracks over time & toss them into a folder to sort through later. Sometimes I'll bring the folder of music to work with me & make the mix there(shhhh, don't tell anyone). The problem with doing that is I have to convert the mp3's to wav or aiff files and in the process the tracks can lose the artist identifier. So I only know the track title but not the artist. That's how I ended up with 4 tracks from Robert Rich & Ian Boddy in one mix. I usually don't like to have that much from album or artist. That's also how the mix ended up with two Pjusk cuts back to back. Oh well, Guess I'll just have to be more careful next time.
I didn't want to go the Lustmord "where black stars hang" route and have the mix be scary alien. I just wanted unearthly alien. Hopefully I hit that tone pretty well.
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00:00 Anduin - We Swallowed the Night
- 01:56 Harold Budd - Dark Star
- 04:16 Hecq - aback
- 06:23 Pjusk - Kram
- 11:44 Robert Rich & Ian Boddy - Threshold
- 12:28 nebulo & druc drac - rive nord - rive sud
- 14:30 EU - 60 Planets
- 16:37 Monolake - phenomenon
- 19:10 Robert Rich & Ian Boddy - Methane
- 22:10 Anduin - The Voyeurs Wall of Glass
- 25:25 Lights Out Asia - All These Worlds Are Yours
- 27:15 Jon Hopkins - Cold Out There
- 30:16 Pjusk - Granitt
- 33:33 Pjusk - Flint
- 37:15 Loscil - Pressure
- 39:55 Roly Porter - Arrakis
- 42:05 Loren Connors - Red Mars
- 43:15 Robert Rich & Ian Boddy - Ice Fields
- 48:05 Saul Stokes - We Resolve
- 53:10 Robert Rich & Ian Boddy - Last Outpost
- 55:04 end
April 7th, 2012
On Sundays I don't do anything useful until noon. I read the paper, listen to music, read a book, sort & catalog my mp3's, sit out on the deck, etc.
This mix is a soundtrack for Sunday mornings. Some instrumental tunes, some vocal tracks. All of it mellow & laid back. Perfect for a lazy Sunday morning.
When I did my first Sunday morning mix I wasn't really sure if I even liked it. Then it turned out to be the most listened to mix I've ever had at Mixcloud. Go figure.
Vol. 2 starts with one of my favorite songs of all time, John Martyn's "Small Hours". I think that was the tune that got me into John Martyn in the first place. There are several covers in the mix. The most unusual being Evan Chapman's percussion cover of Bon Iver's Holocene. Evan has a bunch of videos up on his youtube channel that are worth watching. One of my favorites is "Opening" by Philip Glass. I'll definitely have to work some more Evan's covers into other mixes.
Speaking of Bon Iver, there's another cover in the mix with Peter Gabriel doing "Flume" and then Gabriel gets covered by Twin Shadows doing "Here Comes the Flood." And we have another Bon Iver tune, this time done live by Justin Vernon & Sean Carey for 4AD sessions.
There are two other tracks also taken from live sessions, Daughter - In The Shallows from a Daytrotter session and Iron & Wine - Tree by the River from a 4AD session. All three live tunes are cool because they are so organic & intimate.
Enjoy volume 2 in the Sunday morning music series.
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00:00 John Martyn - Small Hours
- 08:25 Brian Eno - and then so clear
- 13:55 Evan Chapman - Holocene (Bon Iver cover)
- 17:40 Iron & Wine - Tree by the River (4AD session)
- 21:05 Bill Frisell - Arkansas (part 1)
- 22:52 Sun Ra - Yesterdays
- 26:48 Twin Shadows - Here Comes the Flood (Peter Gabriel cover)
- 30:36 Vieo Abiungo - 12 Drowsy Salted Mornings (Tokyo Bloodworm Remix)
- 34:33 Daughter - In The Shallows (Daytotter session)
- 40:10 JBM - Sunset Rocks
- 42:00 David Holmes - The Ballad of Sarah & Jack
- 46:18 Peter Gabriel - Flume (Bon Iver cover)
- 49:05 Nils Frahm - For
- 52:35 Bon Iver - Hinnom, TX(4AD/Jagjaguwar session)
- 55:35 Vijay Iyer Trio - The Village of Virgins
- 1:00:46 end