July 22nd, 2012
Those of us who are science dorks were fascinated earlier this month when it was announced that the discovery of a new particle was very likely the elusive Higgs-Boson. The particle has been the subject of a nearly 50 year hunt to explain why matter has mass.
This mix is a celebration of that discovery. With titles like "Particle," "Sweet Collision," and "Magnetic Fields," all the track titles work very well with a Higgs-Boson, high energy physics theme.
[ s t r e a m ] [ d o w n l o a d ] [ i t u n e s ]
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00:00 Miles Tilman - Particle
- 03:33 Saul Stokes - Vapor Trails
- 07:30 Mr. Projectile - Tiny Distances
- 08:30 Can - Quantum Physics
- 09:44 Baffo Banfi - Love Magnetic Research
- 14:23 Burial - Shell of Light
- 18:27 John Adams - Short Ride in a Fast Machine
- 23:05 Cliff Martinez - Hi Energy Proton Accelerator
- 25:05 Benjamin Dauer - Sweet Collision
- 30:20 Loren Dent - Sub-Atomic Love Song
- 32:45 Spheruleus - Suspended Particles
- 35:30 Martin Herterich - Silent Fields 2
- 42:25 Maps & Diagrams - Particles of Earth
- 44:44 Pale Sketcher - Tiny Universes
- 48:52 Dub Trees - Magnetica
- 52:21 Jean Michel Jarre - Magnetic Fields part 1
- 59:00 Vir Unis - They Call It The God Particle
- 1:04:11 end
July 8th, 2012
Sunday mornings in summer...put on some coffee even though the temps are already climbing.
Sunday mornings in summer...are spent on the deck with the paper & the birds.
Sunday mornings in summer...slow motion start to a slow motion day.
This is the third in my unplanned Sunday morning music series. I hadn't intended to more than one of these mixes but the first was so popular on Mixcloud that I couldn't resist doing more. I was amazed at how many listens it got and to be honest, I liked that popularity, so I became a bit of a ratings whore & went back to that same well again.
As with the others in this series, this mix is a collection of instrumentals, acoustic tunes, jazz & other oddballs. I am happy to have squeezed in the tune, The Farther Away I Am, from Daryl Hall. Yes that's Daryl Hall of Hall and Oates. It's from a 1980 solo album he did that was produced by Robert Fripp, thereby assuring it would be a commercial bomb. The album was kind hit & miss but I've always loved that song.
Other favs in the mix are the ones by Sun Kil Moon & Keola Beamer and of course the Colin Meloy cover which I stole as the title for volume 3 in this series. I know the Beamer tune borders on new age. But I think this cut doesn't go over the edge into new age crap. It just has this nice breezy feel which perfect for sitting on the deck with the sun on your face.
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00:00 Daniel Lanois - Steamdog
- 02:00 Sun Kil Moon - Sunshine in Chicago
- 04:30 Keola Beamer - `Imi Au Io `Oe
- 07:27 Colin Meloy - Every day is Like Sunday(Morrissey cover)
- 10:40 Brian Eno - Silver Morning
- 12:50 Foreign Fields - From the Lake to the Land
- 15:20 Daryl Hall - The Farther Away I Am
- 17:40 Sigur Ros - varðeldur
- 23:25 Bill Nelson - Your Morning Blessing
- 26:05 Wolfgang Voigt - Fresko 1
- 29:05 Nora Jones - Good Morning
- 32:10 Uakti - Japura River(philip glass cover)
- 36:41 Steve Tibbetts - kili-ki drok
- 37:45 Jeff Pearce - With the Morning Light
- 42:20 Jan Garbarek - Ov zarmanali
- 45:00 Chet Baker - Early Morning Mood
- 52:20 Steve Tibbetts - Drawing Down the Moon
- 57:05 Sufjan Stevens - The Lord God Bird(live on NPR)
- 1:00:37 end