October 18th, 2012
I wanted to get this mix in while it is still autumn. I originally did this mix last fall for the good folks over at Headphone Commute. If you've not been there, head over to their great site for reviews, news, sound clips & of course mixes.
The music in the mix sort of has an autumnal feel to it at least I hope so considering the title is “Illusions of Autumn.” Not sure what qualifies a tune as being autumnal, I guess it’s a case of “I know it, when I hear it.”
I was glad to use the Arve Henriksen tune, I love his stuff but sometimes it doesn't fit in a straight ambient mix. But it works well here, it really has a nice fall color feel to me.
Enjoy autumn while you can, winter is will be here soon.
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00:00 Nils Frahm - Old Thought
- 04:00 Cliff Martinez - Rubber Head
- 06:25 Benoît Pioulard - Malick
- 08:45 Daniel Lanois - Matador
- 13:05 King Creosote & Jon Hopkins - First Watch
- 15:10 Harold Budd - Come Back to Me in Dreams
- 16:55 Arve Henriksen - Sorrow and It's Opposite
- 19:00 Steve Tibbetts - Nine Doors Breathing Space
- 20:55 Arve Henriksen - Sorrow and It's Opposite(continuation)
- 21:40 Andrey Kiritchenko - Agravic Illusion
- 26:50 Animal Hospital - Nostalgia
- 28:00 The Fun Years - Fucking Milwaukee's Been Hesher Forever
- 31:15 Bexar Bexar - n.r.o.t.
- 34:05 Daniel Lanois - Sketches
- 38:00 Antonymnes meets Slow Dancing Society - A Feeling of Being Closer
- 46:55 Maps & Diagrams - When the Night Came
- 50:15 Emanuele Errante - Counterclockwise
- 55:40 Cliff Martinez - Wrong Floor
- 57:05 end
October 5th, 2012
There is a new release from Loscil called "Sketches from New Brighton." And of course it's excellent, everything from Loscil is excellent. As I listened to it I figured that Loscil would have to be one of my favorite ambient artists of all time.
That got me thinking...what are my top ten ambient artists of all time? The artists on the list are ones I come back to again and again. And also ones that have a decent sized body of work. Scott Solter did one of my favorite ambient albums of all time, "One River." But that was pretty much it from him. So to make the list it was important to have a fair number of releases.
Well, here's the list, in no particular order:
- Stars of the Lid
- Brian Eno
- Steve Roach
- Harold Budd
- Maps & Diagrams
- Alio Die
- William Basinski
- Kyle Bobby Dunn
This mix is a collection of tracks from each of those artists. The cuts used in the mix are not necessarily my favorite track from that artist, just tunes that worked well within the mix. I did want to use something new from Loscil but something old from Eno & Harold Budd.
Honorable mentions might be:
- Marconi Union
- Robert Rich
- Taylor Deupree
- Saul Stokes
- Marsen Jules
- Windy & Carl
- David Tagg
- A Produce
If any listeners would like to leave their lists in the comments that would be very cool.
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00:00 Loscil - Prairie Trains
- 07:15 Steve Roach - Tranquility Base
- 13:55 Stars of the Lid - The Atomium, part 2
- 21:00 Harold Budd - Balthus Bemused by Color
- 25:25 Brian Eno - Slow Water
- 28:00 Maps & Diagrams - Secrets of the Shore
- 30:45 Kyle Bobby Dunn - The Tributary(for voices lost)
- 38:03 Alio Die - Ultima Latet
- 50:40 William Basinski - 92982.3
- 55:30 Sonmi451 - Ruis
- 1:03:33 end