November 18th, 2014
I love the music of Loscil.
I have been listening to Loscil for ten years and I look forward to new releases more than ever. Loscil made it into my mix of favorite ambient artists and my mix of favorite ambient albums of all time. I consider Loscil music to be perfect ambient/electronic music.
Scott Morgan is the man behind Loscil & he has just released a new album - "Sea Island". I knew I was going to like it even before I heard it and I was right. This new recording is everything you'd expect from a Loscil album with some new twists. In addition to the familiar electronics, the tracks here also utilize vibraphone, voice, violin and piano.
You can stream the album here... SEA ISLAND STREAM.
You can buy it here... SEA ISLAND at KRANKY RECORDS.
The first track on the mix is from "Sea Island". I only included 3 Loscil tunes because posting on Mixcloud only allows 3 tracks from the same artist per mix. So to get around that, sort of, I included a bunch of Loscil remixes in addition to songs that just sounded like they fit.
I hope you like the mix & if you do, support Scott by buying a shitload of his music.
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00:00 Loscil - Catalina 1943
- 06:20 Rezo Glonti - Sun of Tibati
- 11:00 Heathered Pearls - Beach Shelter(loscil grind remix)
- 14:15 Loscil - Zephyr & Zephyr with strings
- 18:50 Anjou - Readings
- 23:40 Fieldhead - I'm fond of maps
- 26:30 Benoit Pioulard - Florid(Loscil remix)
- 31:35 Marconi Union - Weightless #2
- 38:00 Deep Chord - Red Lantern part 3
- 40:55 Dakota Suite - Things We Lost(Loscil remix)
- 46:50 Ethernet - Into The Woods(Loscil remix)
- 52:05 Loscil - Endless Falls
- 59:08 end
November 9th, 2014
Here's another entry in the Sunday Morning Music series. This follows the template fo earlier mixes - mostly instrumental, some vocals, some jazz, some old some new. I called it Fall Back because it was intended to be posted last weekend when daylight saving came to an end but stuff always seems to get in the way.
My favorite cut in the mix is "Art Decade" by Dylan Howe from his excellent album, "SUBTERRANEAN - New Designs On Bowie's Berlin." The album is a set of jazz covers of Bowie's Berlin instrumentals and it's awesome. You can get it on Bandcamp here... SUBTERRANEAN - New Designs On Bowie's Berlin.
The King Crimson instrumental is from the Elements tour box set which I picked up when I saw Crimson in Madison. It was easily one of the best shows I've ever seen. Ther music has been such a part of my life for such a long time that at times the music was almost overwhelming. I nearly cried when they played Schizoid Man for the encore.
Other excellent new music in this mix comes from Bill Frisell, Piers Faccini and Vincent Segal, Daniel Lanois and one of my favorite ambient albums of the year, "Headspace" by Tonepoet, which you can find here... Headspace.
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00:00 Bill Frisell - Lift Off
- 02:00 Dylan Howe - Art Decade(Bowie cover)
- 06:27 King Crimson - Fallen Angel(instrumental)
- 07:56 Steve Tibbetts - Kuladzokpa
- 09:05 Piers Faccini and Vincent Segal - The Closing of Our Eyes
- 11:25 Tonepoet - With a Whisper It's Gone
- 14:30 Bill Frisell - Reflections from the Moon
- 17:35 The Antlers - Parade
- 22:05 Land Observations - From the Heights of the Simplon Pass
- 26:35 Masayoshi Fujita - Snowstorm
- 29:50 Hopper and Gowen - Morning Order
- 36:15 El Fog - Flip and Dub
- 40:28 Daniel Lanois - Iceland
- 42:52 Devotchka - The Winner Is
- 45:53 Mahavishnu Orchestra - You Know You Know
- 50:30 The Six Parts Seven - Now Like Photographs
- 54:44 Islands of Light - Praeludium
- 56:15 Wave Temples - Birds of the Looking Jar No. 3
- 56:30 Alejandro Franov - Pasando el Mar
- 1:00:05 end