I've mentioned many times that a mix often starts with a single track that interests me and takes off from there. In the case of this classical mix, the track is "In Spe" by Arvo Part.
I first heard the piece via YouTube & loved it right from the start. As far as I can tell it has not been recorded for official release so the version in this mix is the performance I heard on YouTube. You can find the original ten minute track here... In Spe, Arvo Pärt, Georgian Sinfonietta
Creating a classical mix right now works nicely because I just bought the excellent new piece by John Luther Adams - Become Ocean. It's basically an orchestral drone piece & it's beautiful.
One of my favorite recordings of 2014, Atmos by A Winged Victory for the Sullen, makes two appearances in the mix. It's a gorgeous record that fits perfectly in this mix.
A couple of other tracks that I was happy to squeeze into the mix are "Odi Et Amo" by Jóhann Jóhannsson and The Dublin Guitar Quartet's version of Philip Glass' "String Quartet No. 3 Mishima V." I've always loved the Philip Glass soundtrack "Mishima" and this guitar quartet version is sublime.
I guess this will be my last mix for 2014. I'll start a new mix right off the bat in 2015.
I'd like to thank everyone who has been following this blog for almost 9 years now. I've always said that I'd make mixes just for my own amusement, even if nobody else ever heard them. But when other folks get some enjoyment out of them it makes it more fun and meaningful. Plus it's just plain cool to have connected to people all over the world through these mixes. Thanks!
Enjoy & Happy New Year!
- 00:00 Jonny Greenwood - Overtones(The Master OST)
- 02:00 Arvo Part - In Spe(Georgian Sinfonietta recording)
- 07:20 A Winged Victory for the Sullen - Atmos XII
- 10:45 Valentin Silvestrov - Symphony No. 5(excerpt)
- 14:18 Christina Vantzou - vhs
- 18:46 Islands of Light - Goerde
- 21:55 Ólafur Arnalds - Highway
- 24:10 Jóhann Jóhannsson - Odi Et Amo
- 27:10 Hildur Gudnadottir - Unveiled
- 30:33 Vieo Abiungo - Insincerity Peeked Through Cloudlessly(Upward Arrows Remix)
- 33:55 John Luther Adams - Become Ocean(excerpt)
- 44:00 Nest - Far From Land
- 48:40 A Winged Victory for the Sullen - Atmos VIII
- 52:10 Dublin Guitar Quartet - String Quartet No. 3 Mishima V
- 55:30 Steve Reich - Electric Counterpoint I Fast
- 1:02:30 John Luther Adams - Become Ocean(end)
- 1:07:09 end