At the end of May I posted an excellent mix from Mike G of the Ambient Music Guide. We agreed to do guest mixes for each other and that the starting point would be a title that each of us would give the other. We sent each other a few title ideas, we each chose one and got to work.
Mike chose "Lapse into Reverie" and the result was his beautiful mix that you can find here...
Mike gave me about 4 or 5 title ideas and my attention was immediately drawn to one in particular... "Ghosts of the Future."
The first thing that comes to mind is the film "Interstellar", which I had just re-watched right before this project. With its time dilation and Murph's "ghost" communicating from the future, the soundtrack is the perfect launching point for this mix. I like soundtracks but Hans Zimmer usually isn't a favorite. However with this film he strikes a perfect balance. At times the music has a Philip Glass feel to it.
I also thought of snippets of voices as ghosts and so I worked in some spoken word excerpts here & there, as well as using tracks that had voices or vocoder. Overall I hope the mix conveys a strange, otherworldly feel to it.
Thanks again to Mike G for doing the mix swap with me and thanks for a great mix title.
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00:00 Ian William Craig - Before Meaning Comes
- 00:35 Hans Zimmer - Where We're Going(Interstellar OST)
- 05:52 Eskmo - Spvce
- 07:55 Robert Rich - Premonition of Circular Clouds
- 13:15 Intrusion - Static Waves & Shuttle358 - Fissure(played simultaneously)
- 16:30 Echospace - Viola's Ghost Hamonix, Beyond Gravity, Astral Dreaming, Beyond The Drone(played simultaneously along with Static Waves)
- 19:10 Disasterpeace - Formations
- 20:55 Shuttle358 - Warm
- 25:10 Kraftwerk - Endlos Endlos
- 25:50 Chris Dooks - Antifoni
- 26:45 Bon Iver - Woods(remixed)
- 28:40 Hans Zimmer - s.t.a.y.(Interstellar OST)
- 33:45 Adlib - Hoffnung
- 34:25 Steve Roach - It's All Connected
- 39:50 Vangelis - Tears in the Rain
- 42:36 Cliff Martinez - We Don't Have To Think Like That Anymore
- 45:15 Transcient - My Last Goodbye
- 48:39 Simon Bainton - Range
- 50:43 Public Broadcasting Service - Tomorrow
- 55:55 end