November 21st, 2015
After the attacks in Paris on November 13th, NPR music did a show about music for healing. You can find it here... http://www.npr.org/sections/allsongs/2015/11/17/456343231/music-for-healing
Two cuts on their playlist are from two of my favorite albums this year, Goldmund - Sometimes and Nils Frahm - Solo.
As I listened to those two tracks over & over I started to think about the piano as a healing instrument. The right song & circumstances can make just about any instrument a healing instrument. But somehow the piano seems ideally suited for that role.
Most of the tunes used here are new. In addition to the Goldmund & Frahm cuts another 2015 favorite album included in the mix is Chris Walla - Tape Loops. Walla is the drummer for Death Cab for Cutie and he has put together a nice collection that reminds me of Music for Airports & Music for Films.
I hope this mix can act as a musical balm, soothing our psyches in these turbulent times.
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00:00 Goldmund - Sometimes
- 02:40 Chris Walla - Goodbye
- 08:00 Nils Frahm - Ode
- 12:10 Hior Chronik & Mikael Delta - Everything We Want to Feel
- 15:00 Max Richter - Cumulonimbus
- 20:20 Moon ate the dark - If Vanishing
- 24:25 Ocean in a Bottle - Circling Winter
- 25:50 Eskmo - Tamara
- 27:48 Nine Inch Nails - Ghosts II
- 30:55 Nils Frahm - 4'33"
- 32:40 Mette Henriette - .oOo.
- 35:55 Aphex Twin - Aisatsana
- 40:55 Chris Walla - flytoget
- 49:28 A Winged Victory for the Sullen - Atmos III
- 53:27 Stars of the Lid - Humectez La Mouture
- 57:45 Nils Frahm - merry
- 61:45 end
November 14th, 2015
A slowly developing amalgamation of mixed-genre madness, fusing ambient, experimental & jazz soundscapes into a mixture of quiet deconstruction.
"Slow Decay" is a collaborative mix from Low Light Mixes & Ambient Landscape. We've each done mixes for each other but we thought it would be cool make a mix in which we both contributed alternating sections.
Gene(ambient landscape) came up with the title and I started things off with a couple of cuts. I sent it to Gene, he added a few more, sent it back to me, I added more tracks and so on and so on. Until we had a fascinating 1 hour & 16 minute journey.
I love how things turned out. The combination of ecm-style jazz and ambient and experimental music worked perfectly.
Don't forget to check out Ambient Landscape here...
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00:00 Signal Structure (w/treatments) - Positive Centre
- 03:12 Upon Contact Reworked - Jorge Haro (Bruno Sanfilippo)
- 07:10 The Squealing of Rats & the Squeaking of Boards - Marielle V Jakobsons (w/treatments)
- 08:45 Parallel Realities (excerpt) - Jack DeJohnette, Pat Metheny, Herbie Hancock
- 11:40 Dis Loops 1.1 - William Basinski - performed by The Wordless Music Orchestra
- 21:40 Upon the Break Arch - Benoit Pioulard
- 26:20 Structural Functions Of Prezens (excerpt) - David Torn, Tim Berne, Craig Taborn, Tom Rainey
- 30:25 Sluimer (excerpt) - FANTOOM (René Aquarius, Otto Kokke, Dirk Serries, Martina Verhoeven)
- 34:50 Passage D.E. - Jon Hassell
- 39:10 Solphaer - Alva Noto
- 44:05 Porch Swings - Cinchel
- 45:55 Arder De No Sentir Calor - Mauro Beltran
- 50:27 Night Peculiarities – Johan Troch
- 53:19 Tunis at Dawn - Anouar Brahem
- 59:44 Rosemarie - Trio3: Oliver Lake, Reggie Workman, Andrew Cyrille w/ Vijay Iyer
- 66:04 Setting Out - Nick Cave & Warren Ellis
- 67:50 The Wind in High Places: Above Sunset Pass - John Luther Adams
- 70:45 Tipping Point - Andy Sheppard Quartet
- 76:15 end