December 2nd, 2014
I am very excited about this mix. It comes from Josh Furey, the man the excellent indie label Nocturne Records.
The mix consists of ambient and slower vintage 8-bit video game
music. It starts off with a cut from Disasterpeace from the album FEZ.
I had just recently bought the album and was thinking about doing an
8-bit type of mix myself when Josh sent me his Cartridge mix. Wow, am I
glad I didn't bother with my mix because Josh's blend of 8-bit music
and video game sounds and tunes is perfect.
Thanks to Josh for his work on this fantastic mix. Check out is excellent latest album PETALS.
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00:00 • Disasterpeace - Beacon [FEZ]
- 02:34 • Pixel - Balcony [Cave Story]
- 04:03 • Martin Galway - Green Beret [Green Beret]
- 06:08 • Magyari András, Brian Coburn, Spencer Nilsen - Medusa Bay [Ecco The Dolphin]
- 08:03 • Brain Wash - Stage Four [Pulseman]
- 10:04 • Motoi Sakuraba - Map [Arcus Odyssey]
- 11:29 • Koji Kondo - Forest Temple [Ledgend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time]
- 11:29 • Rob Hubbard & Ben Daglish - Auf Wiedersehen Monty [Auf Wiedersehen Monty]
- 15:48 • Tim Follin - Ghouls n Ghosts [Ghouls n Ghosts]
- 16:39 • David Wise, Eveline Ascher & Robin Beanland - Aquatic Ambience [Donkey Kong Country]
- 19:57 • Kenji Yamamoto & Minako Hamano - Lower Brinstar [Super Metroid]
- 22:56 • David M. Hanlon - Druid II Enlightenment [Druid II Enlightenment]
- 25:47 • Michael Land - Goodsoup Family Crypt [Curse Of Monkey Island]
- 27:28 • David Wise, Eveline Ascher & Robin Beanland - Misty Menace [Donkey Kong Country]
- 29:43 • Hiroki Kikuta - Innocent Sea [Seiken Densetsu 3]
- 30:56 • Martin Galway - Wizball [Wizball]
- 34:29 • Wally Beben - Darkside [Darkside]
- 37:09 • Disasterpeace - Spirit [FEZ]
- 38:58 • Kev Bruce - Stage Atlantis Ruins [Porky Pigs Haunted Holliday]
- 41:14 • Kazunaka Yamane - Doppelganger [Double Dragon II]
- 42:58 • Junko Tamiya - Ichirou's Death [Sweet Home]
- 44:32 • Neil Brennan - Way of the Exploding Fist [Way of the Exploding Fist]
- 45:13 • Masami Ueda - The Second Floor [Resident Evil II]
- 48:04 • Masaki Hashimoto - Title Screen [Kabuki Quantum Fighter]
- 49:56 • Naoki Kadaka - Mothership Defeated (Game Clear) [Fester's Quest]
- 50:24 • Masaki Hashimoto - Opening [Kabuki Quantum Fighter]
- 50:56 • Mitsuhiko Takano - File Select Screen [Ledgend of Zelda: Minish Cap]
November 18th, 2014
I love the music of Loscil.
I have been listening to Loscil for ten years and I look forward to new releases more than ever. Loscil made it into my mix of favorite ambient artists and my mix of favorite ambient albums of all time. I consider Loscil music to be perfect ambient/electronic music.
Scott Morgan is the man behind Loscil & he has just released a new album - "Sea Island". I knew I was going to like it even before I heard it and I was right. This new recording is everything you'd expect from a Loscil album with some new twists. In addition to the familiar electronics, the tracks here also utilize vibraphone, voice, violin and piano.
You can stream the album here... SEA ISLAND STREAM.
You can buy it here... SEA ISLAND at KRANKY RECORDS.
The first track on the mix is from "Sea Island". I only included 3 Loscil tunes because posting on Mixcloud only allows 3 tracks from the same artist per mix. So to get around that, sort of, I included a bunch of Loscil remixes in addition to songs that just sounded like they fit.
I hope you like the mix & if you do, support Scott by buying a shitload of his music.
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00:00 Loscil - Catalina 1943
- 06:20 Rezo Glonti - Sun of Tibati
- 11:00 Heathered Pearls - Beach Shelter(loscil grind remix)
- 14:15 Loscil - Zephyr & Zephyr with strings
- 18:50 Anjou - Readings
- 23:40 Fieldhead - I'm fond of maps
- 26:30 Benoit Pioulard - Florid(Loscil remix)
- 31:35 Marconi Union - Weightless #2
- 38:00 Deep Chord - Red Lantern part 3
- 40:55 Dakota Suite - Things We Lost(Loscil remix)
- 46:50 Ethernet - Into The Woods(Loscil remix)
- 52:05 Loscil - Endless Falls
- 59:08 end
November 9th, 2014
Here's another entry in the Sunday Morning Music series. This follows the template fo earlier mixes - mostly instrumental, some vocals, some jazz, some old some new. I called it Fall Back because it was intended to be posted last weekend when daylight saving came to an end but stuff always seems to get in the way.
My favorite cut in the mix is "Art Decade" by Dylan Howe from his excellent album, "SUBTERRANEAN - New Designs On Bowie's Berlin." The album is a set of jazz covers of Bowie's Berlin instrumentals and it's awesome. You can get it on Bandcamp here... SUBTERRANEAN - New Designs On Bowie's Berlin.
The King Crimson instrumental is from the Elements tour box set which I picked up when I saw Crimson in Madison. It was easily one of the best shows I've ever seen. Ther music has been such a part of my life for such a long time that at times the music was almost overwhelming. I nearly cried when they played Schizoid Man for the encore.
Other excellent new music in this mix comes from Bill Frisell, Piers Faccini and Vincent Segal, Daniel Lanois and one of my favorite ambient albums of the year, "Headspace" by Tonepoet, which you can find here... Headspace.
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00:00 Bill Frisell - Lift Off
- 02:00 Dylan Howe - Art Decade(Bowie cover)
- 06:27 King Crimson - Fallen Angel(instrumental)
- 07:56 Steve Tibbetts - Kuladzokpa
- 09:05 Piers Faccini and Vincent Segal - The Closing of Our Eyes
- 11:25 Tonepoet - With a Whisper It's Gone
- 14:30 Bill Frisell - Reflections from the Moon
- 17:35 The Antlers - Parade
- 22:05 Land Observations - From the Heights of the Simplon Pass
- 26:35 Masayoshi Fujita - Snowstorm
- 29:50 Hopper and Gowen - Morning Order
- 36:15 El Fog - Flip and Dub
- 40:28 Daniel Lanois - Iceland
- 42:52 Devotchka - The Winner Is
- 45:53 Mahavishnu Orchestra - You Know You Know
- 50:30 The Six Parts Seven - Now Like Photographs
- 54:44 Islands of Light - Praeludium
- 56:15 Wave Temples - Birds of the Looking Jar No. 3
- 56:30 Alejandro Franov - Pasando el Mar
- 1:00:05 end
September 28th, 2014
This mix grew out of a collection of vacation songs. I wanted to put some tunes together for relaxing on the pier or around the fire. Once I started finding songs I decided to make all of them vocal acoustic tunes and the rest just fell into place. The whole mix is nice and slow and quiet. And of course acoustic.
There are a few great covers here, like the Sarah Jarosz & Phosphoerscent covers. I used some all-time favorite artists in here - Avetts, Sufjan, Andrew Bird, Iron & Wine, Paul Simon. Mostly this is a mix of older songs with some new-ish cuts.
There's not much else to say other than I really like this mix, and I can see listening to it for years to come.
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00:00 J. Tilman - Under The Sun
- 04:20 The Avett Bros. - The Ballad of Love and Hate
- 09:34 Andrew Bird - Night Sky
- 13:28 Sarah Jarosz - Simple Twist of Fate(Dylan cover)
- 18:15 Iron & Wine - Tree by the River
- 21:39 Bob Dylan - Buckets of Rain
- 24:55 Calexico - When Bellows Crack
- 28:30 Alison Krauss & Yo Yo Ma - Slumber My Darling
- 33:10 Boy & Bear - Fall at Your Feet(Crowded House cover)
- 35:00 The Lumineers - This Must Be The Place(T Heads cover)
- 38:17 Paul Simon - Hearts & Bones
- 43:53 Bon Iver - For Emma
- 47:15 Reigning Sound - Once More
- 49:50 The Low Anthem - (Don't) Tremble
- 54:00 Phosphorescent - Ya Hey(Vampire Wknd cover)
- 59:40 Clem Snide - Find Love
- 01:02:14 Paul Simon - American Tune
- 01:05:55 Walter Martin - Sing to Me
- 01:08:53 Sufjan Stevens - To Be Alone With You
- 01:11:33 Fleet Foxes - Blue Spotted Tail
- 01:14:10 J. Tillman - A Year in the Kingdom
- 01:16:43 Iron & Wine - Sodom, South Georgia
- 01:21:38 Damien Rice - The Rat Within The Grain
- 01:24:24 Andrew Bird - Sovay
- 01:29:00 Calexico - Better and Better
- 01:31:17 The Avett Bros. - Famous Flower of Manhattan
- 01:35:09 end
September 10th, 2014
Back in July I featured a guest mix from halftribe.
It was an excellent mix & a nice break for me. Well, Ryan
Bissett(halftribe) has kindly offered another mix and I jumped at the
chance to post it.
mix is absolutely pure ambient bliss. A beautiful collection perfect for any
time of year or any time of day. I've been listening to it at work and
have used it as sleep material as well. Give it a listen/download, I'm
sure any ambient lover will enjoy this mix.
Also swing by Ryan's halftribe pages:
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00'00 Steiner - Happiness And The Longing For Repetition (Unfinished)
- 05'30 SandStars - Finally Night (Original mix)
- 12'07 Stabilo - Viridity
- 19'00 Brandon Hurtado - Merci Et Bonne Nuit
- 21'50 Massergy - Baptisia
- 27'48 Halftribe - Holy Ground
- 33'25 Rdei - Untitled
- 36'16 SandStars - Cold Voice (Original mix)
- 41'21 Masaya Ozaki - Alkaline Days
- 45'17 Halftribe - The Secret Garden
- 51'10 Gareth Dickson - Harmonics
August 31st, 2014
|cinemagraph by Julien Douvier - http://juliendouvier.tumblr.com/
Sometimes I go through phases of music listening. I'll listen to a bunch of old prog rock for two weeks then move on. I pull out some old Cantebury Scene stuff from the 70s for awhile. Then I'll go on an early 80s new wave binge. Then Americana. Then ECM jazz.
This mix came out one such binge. I've been listening to a lot of Jean Michel Jarre & Tangerine Dream lately. Jean Michel Jarre was a college favorite of mine. My girlfriend in college loved JMJ. Which is probably why I married her - how many college girls like Jean Michel Jarre?!
While bingeing on JMJ & TD I knew that I wanted to use them in a mix and the train theme just seemed to flow naturally from there. So the first two JMJ tunes I chose specifically because of the train sounds in them. I think I'd like to do another berlin school mix with all artists and music from the 1970s.
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00:00 Tangerine Dream - Love on a Real Train
- 03:40 Jean Michel Jarre - Magnetic Fields pt. 3
- 06:33 Dadub - Arrival
- 09:10 Miktek - Elsewhere(fade edit)
- 14:40 Evan Marc + Steve Hillage - Resurface
- 16:30 Tangerine Dream - Rain and Thunder(Sorcerer Cinematographic Score)
- 23:00 Jean Michel Jarre - Ethnicolor II
- 25:55 Grumbling Fur - Eyoreseye
- 31:33 Mark McGuire - The Instinct
- 37:25 ??? - ???
- 41:20 Mohn - Saturn
- 48:45 Plastikman - Locomotion
- 52:45 Jean Michel Jarre - Equinoxe VII
- 59:10 Tangerine Dream - The Dream Is Always The Same
- 1:02:24 end
August 2nd, 2014
and it's dark and it's raining,
and you're on the edge of the city
and you've been driving all night.
And you took a turn back there
but you're not sure it was the right turn.
But you took the turn anyway,
just kept going in that direction.
And somehow it looks sort of familiar,
so you just keep driving.
Hello. Excuse me.
Can you tell me where I am?
You've been on this road before.
You can read the signs.
You can feel your way.
You can do this in your sleep.
This is a mix I did for the good folks at Intergalactic.FM. Head over there for this and a ton of other mixes and radio shows.
Like most of my mixes there is a starting point or inspiration that gets the ball rolling. In this case it was the Laurie Anderson track "Lighting Out For The Territories" from her United States Live album. The cut is so atmospheric and moody. It immediately conjures up images of lonely highways, lonely songs and tires thumping on the pavement.
I had a hard time deciding between cuts that have a lonely country, twangy feel and songs that are more pulsating, driving electronic in nature. In the end I ended up with a little bit of everything. The two tracks with vocals definitely have a lonely, plaintive quality. That same feel is also present in the Daniel Lanois tunes and the instrumental from The Antlers(whose new album is fantastic by the way).
The tracks from Prins Thomas and Brian Reitzell are of the more electronic driving type. Both have an old kraut rock feel to them that I love. A totally different feel is found in pieces by Terminal Sound System and Talvihorros, sort of weird Twins Peaks vibe. Which makes sense because the Talvihorros track is actually the Twin Peaks theme. Most of the rest of the tunes just sort of felt right for a theme of night driving.
Laurie Anderson makes 4 or 5 appearances in the mix. All are variations of the opening track. Usually with other rhythms or road sounds added in.
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00:00 Laurie Anderson - Lighting Out for the Territories
- 02:20 Sparklehorse - Dreamt for Light Years in the Belly of a Mountain
- 07:00 London Grammar - Wicked Game(cover)
- 10:30 Laurie Anderson - New Jersey Turnpike
- 11:53 Brian Reitzell - Auto Music 2
- 18:20 Calexico - Hair Like Spanish Moss
- 22:05 Cowboy Junkies - 200 More Miles
- 27:25 Bexar Bexar - n.r.o.t.
- 30:30 Watter - Rustic Fog
- 35:25 Daniel Lanois - New Smoke
- 37:30 The Antlers - Jupiter
- 42:00 Terminal Sound System - Duchamp Falls
- 46:10 Hidden Orchestra - Strange
- 52:30 Prins Thomas - Kavaler
- 57:45 Cliff Martinez - Driving to the Bonaparte
- 58:40 Daniel Lanois - Bell Toll
- 59:55 Talvihorros - Twin Peaks Theme
- 1:03:20 end
July 20th, 2014
This is one of those mixes where the title pretty much says it all...Summer Sleeps. I found that if I keep titles fairly straight forward and clear that plays on Mixcloud go up a bit.
I listen to music every night when I go to bed. And lately I was getting bored with old sleep mixes so of course the solution is to make a new one. There's not much else to say about this mix, just lay back and zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00'00 Stephen Vitiello and Taylor Deupree - From the Fish House
- 06'00 Manual - Last Light
- 10'50 Moon Eye Lids - My Only Moon...
- 18'30 Sonmi451 - Ruis
- 25'20 Budd and Eno - Against the Sky
- 29'00 James Johnson - Entering Twilight
- 37'50 Steinbruchel - Home
- 44'15 Kyle Bobby Dunn - Powers of None
- 48'22 Ruben Garcia - Rainy Day
- 52'20 Tom Heasley - Ground Zero
- 1'00'50 St. Kilda - You Are In Every Dream
- 1'03'53 Tonepoet - So Gently We go
- 1'11'20 Tiny Isles - With Thanks Petal
- 1'15'00 Alio Die and Saffron Wood - The Sleep of Seeds
- 1'18'10 33bowls - Morning
- 1'24'10 James Johnson and Stephen Phillips - Lost at Dunn's Lake
- 1'40'44 end
July 6th, 2014
The timing on this could be better. I've been very busy lately and haven't been able to do a mix. So it's the perfect time for a guest mix.
This mix comes to us from Ryan Bissett who produces ambient music as Halftribe. What I love about guest mixes is that I'm usually unfamiliar with many of the tracks. And this mix does exactly that. Only two artists were known to me before I heard this mix. Thanks to Ryan for introducing me to even more new music that I'll never have enough time to listen to. LOL!
Halftribe music is one of the discoveries in this mix. Any ambient music fan will appreciate the music of Halftribe. Here are some useful links to Ryan's music...
Thanks for the mix!
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00'00 Halftribe - Excursion 40
- 06'48 Pines - Dowsing Rod
- 09'06 Letna - Koritnik
- 13'22 Ex Confusion - Two Things
- 15'19 Lost Trail - A Stained August For The Jetcrash
- 18'36 Moshimoss - Homeland
- 21'30 Letna - Mokra Gora
- 24'50 Halftribe ft OJWoods - Sleep Song
- 29'10 Sandstars - Separation Anxiety (original mix)
- 32'15 Izzard - Airways
- 35'15 Caught In The Wake Forever - Meditation In Exile #2
- 37'15 Linear Bells - L'Oisseau
- 48'36 Ben Woods - No Word From Above,
- 50'00 Easychord - With Your Feet On The Dash
- 53'20 Tone Color - Drone, 55'09 Milkky Wayy - Drone Me
- 57'52 Zudi - Thank You Mr Karoshi
May 18th, 2014
I know this blog is supposed to be about ambient music but over the years I've posted some outliers - "Quintessential Jazz" "Footsteps" "Psalms and Lullabies" "Sunday Morning Music" "Vox Electronix" and some other odd balls. It gets a little boring just mixing nothing but floating ambient so it's nice to branch out every now and then.
This mix, "Always & Forever," is definitely on a different branch of the musical tree than ambient. It's a collection of Americana style tunes that I've been listening to a lot lately.
I've been a fan of the Avett Brothers since my daughter introduced me to them 7 or 8 years ago. Listening to the banjo as used by the Avetts and Sufjan Stevens started me on a path to enjoying stripped down, acoustic, country/americana/roots/whatever-you-want-to-call-it music.
Even though this mix is Americana music I think it still retains some of the Low Light Mixes feel. Most of the tunes are simple and laid back.
There are two soundtracks represented here, "Beasts of the Southern Wild" and "Nebraska." I love the beautiful simplicity of the "Nebraska" soundtrack. It always conjures up the black and white landscape images from the film.
Oops, there are three soundtracks used in this mix. I forgot about "Inside Llewyn Davis." Another of my favorite films from last year. The job Oscar Issac did was fabulous and so I couldn't resist using two cuts from the album.
Also included in this mix are four artists that I heard for the first time in 2013, Elephant Revival, Valerie June, Johnny Flynn and Gregory Alan Isakov. All excellent recordings.
Some other artists that I just had to include are The Avett Brothers because, well, they're the Avett Brothers. Also Blessed Feathers because they are local duo that does awesome music. And Andrew Bird because he has become my favorite all around artist over the last 2 or 3 years.
I hope you all enjoy this newest diversion from the ambient formula. I like this mix so much that I'll probably do more.
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00:00 Oscar Issac & Marcus Mumford - Fare Thee Well(Dinks Song)
- 02:52 We Are The West - JV Tryouts
- 07:00 Night Beds - Even If We Try
- 10:50 Avett Brothers - Souls Like The Wheels
- 14:40 Mark Orton - Their Pie
- 16:40 Blessed Feathers - Everyone I Love Is You
- 20:55 Delta Spirit - Devil Knows You're Dead
- 24:15 Benh Zeitlin & Dan Romer - The Survivors
- 27:15 Elephant Revival - Spinning
- 29:33 Valerie June - Somebody to Love
- 32:57 Johnny Flynn - Einstein's Idea
- 38:45 Andrew Bird - Lit From Underneath
- 42:00 Carolina Chocolate Drops - Leaving Eden
- 46:22 Gregory Alan Isakov - A Suitcase Full of Sparks
- 50:15 Sarah Jarosz - Floating in the Balance
- 53:00 Andrew Bird - Danse Carribe
- 58:05 Oscar Issac - Green, Green Rocky Road
- 1:01:08 Elephant Revival - Remembering a Beginning
- 1:04:55 Mark Orton - Magna Carta
- 1:07:24 end