February 1st, 2015
A couple of posts ago I mentioned a favorite new ambient blog - Ambient Landscape. I visit quite often, usually finding new music, interesting links and good mixes.
I reached out to Gene, who runs the blog and asked if he would do a guest mix for Low Light and I'm happy to say that he agreed. The result is this Robert Fripp themed mix - "fripp_2015."
I love listening to well done mixes where I'm not entirely familiar with all the tunes. That way everything just blends seamlessly, one track into another, I can't tell where one begins and another ends. Being a long time Fripp fan, any mix that features his music immediately gets my attention and this one does that and more. This is a great collections of tunes whether you're a Fripp fan or not.
Check out the Ambient Landscape Mixcloud page as well.
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00:00 Marcus Fischer - Nearly There
- 04:43 1605_Munro - Oscila34 (feat. Robert Fripp)
- 12:33 Microvolt - Dissipate
- 16:12 Theo Travis & Robert Fripp - Improvisation.1
- 19:51 Illuha - Relative Hyperbolas of Amplified and Decaying Waveforms
- 28:25 Marcus Fischer - Monocoastal (Part 2)
- 34:23 Metropole Orkest & Robert Fripp - Pie Jesu
- 43:37 Johan Troch - The Enlightened
- 47:05 Peter Davidson - Grand Theft Saucer 1960
- 50:29 Robert Fripp - My Mother's Birthday
- 53:40 Frore - A Name On The Wind
- 61:25 Robert Fripp - Affirmation_Imac
- 67:18 Robert Fripp - Let The Power Fall/1987
- 78:27 Memnon Sa - Titans Sleep
- 83:08 A Produce - The Golden Needle
- 89:36 end
January 22nd, 2015
an expedition is launched
This is a follow up to an earlier mix Leaving the Station, which had a train theme. I had several people ask if I was planning on a follow up and, well, here it is.
My favorite track in this mix is El Divisadero by Chris Watson from his wonderful field recording album, El Tren Fantasma. I've used this track before but it's so awesome I just had to use it here.
Another track in this mix that I've used before is Dialing in the Sun by Paul Ellis. It's an excellent berlin school cut that has this great clicky-clack sound that works perfectly here.
The rest of the mix is a collection of old(Richard Pinhas) and new(Andy Stott) cuts.
On a side note, I don't know if anyone has noticed but embedded in each mp3 for download is the mix tracklist. So if you're playing it on your phone or on some pc players, you should be able to see the tracklist when the mix is playing.
Other mixes coming soon, or maybe I should say sometime this year, a sort of jazz mix, a new age massage mix, a sci fi mix, a dubby mix, a space rock mix, guest mixes and many more I haven't even thought of yet.
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00:00 Edinburgh - City Streets and Train Station
- 00:40 The Elf Machine - Asymmetric Transition
- 03:27 Arovane - Passage to Nagoya
- 05:15 Locust - I'll Be There
- 08:57 Forrest Fang - Bothered
- 12:27 Paul Ellis - Dialing in the Sun
- 17:45 Chris Watson - El Divisadero
- 22:00 Circular - Synchronus
- 29:00 The Black Dog - Exhibit 1.1
- 33:20 Function and Vatican Shadow - Things Unknown
- 40:20 Dub Tractor - More or Less Mono
- 44:08 The Field - Arpeggiated Love
- 48:55 Richard Pinhas - Melodic Simple Transition
- 52:15 Andy Stott - Science and Industry
- 57:57 Torn Hawk - She Happens
- 1:02:55 Ten and Tracer - Figure and Ground
- 1:06:05 Deepchord - Day's End
- 1:08:11 end
January 3rd, 2015
This mix started with two discoveries. First I found a great ambient blog called Ambient Landscape. I have found lots of music through the site, most notably the fantastic album by Dylan Howe, New Designs on Bowie's Berlin, which made it on to my year end lists.
The second discovery that inspired this mix was a series from Aural Films called Fog Music. I believe they up to 25 releases which you find here...FOG MUSIC. There's some nice stuff in there & I liked to whole concept of "Fog Music," not too far off the "sea" mixes I've done before.
So that's where this started. From there I looked for other foggy tunes. I'm not a big fan of dark, dissonant ambient that might typically get used for fog music. I think the collection here works pretty well.
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00:00 foghorns & stuff
- 01:00 Todd Peck - Into the Mist
- 03:30 Optical Frameworks - Surrounded Fog
- 06:20 Maps & Diagrams - Fog Signalling
- 07:55 echospace - Vector Vapor
- 09:00 36 - Mist
- 11:30 Chihei Hatakeyama - A House in the Fog
- 13:10 Loscil - Vapor
- 17:06 Brian Eno - Events in Dense Fog
- 20:45 Laocoon - Mist
- 26:20 Wolfgang Gsell - February Fog
- 32:00 Shaded Explorer - Sea Mist
- 37:10 Sam Rosenthal and vidnaObmana - Dark Mist, Rain
- 40:30 Thomas Koner - Vasabron, Stockholm
- 44:10 James Johnson - House of Mist
- 47:50 ASC - Behind the Veil
- 53:50 Jeff Greinke - Over Water
- 1:01:12 end
December 28th, 2014
I've mentioned many times that a mix often starts with a single track that interests me and takes off from there. In the case of this classical mix, the track is "In Spe" by Arvo Part.
I first heard the piece via YouTube & loved it right from the start. As far as I can tell it has not been recorded for official release so the version in this mix is the performance I heard on YouTube. You can find the original ten minute track here... In Spe, Arvo Pärt, Georgian Sinfonietta
Creating a classical mix right now works nicely because I just bought the excellent new piece by John Luther Adams - Become Ocean. It's basically an orchestral drone piece & it's beautiful.
One of my favorite recordings of 2014, Atmos by A Winged Victory for the Sullen, makes two appearances in the mix. It's a gorgeous record that fits perfectly in this mix.
A couple of other tracks that I was happy to squeeze into the mix are "Odi Et Amo" by Jóhann Jóhannsson and The Dublin Guitar Quartet's version of Philip Glass' "String Quartet No. 3 Mishima V." I've always loved the Philip Glass soundtrack "Mishima" and this guitar quartet version is sublime.
I guess this will be my last mix for 2014. I'll start a new mix right off the bat in 2015.
I'd like to thank everyone who has been following this blog for almost 9 years now. I've always said that I'd make mixes just for my own amusement, even if nobody else ever heard them. But when other folks get some enjoyment out of them it makes it more fun and meaningful. Plus it's just plain cool to have connected to people all over the world through these mixes. Thanks!
Enjoy & Happy New Year!
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00:00 Jonny Greenwood - Overtones(The Master OST)
- 02:00 Arvo Part - In Spe(Georgian Sinfonietta recording)
- 07:20 A Winged Victory for the Sullen - Atmos XII
- 10:45 Valentin Silvestrov - Symphony No. 5(excerpt)
- 14:18 Christina Vantzou - vhs
- 18:46 Islands of Light - Goerde
- 21:55 Ólafur Arnalds - Highway
- 24:10 Jóhann Jóhannsson - Odi Et Amo
- 27:10 Hildur Gudnadottir - Unveiled
- 30:33 Vieo Abiungo - Insincerity Peeked Through Cloudlessly(Upward Arrows Remix)
- 33:55 John Luther Adams - Become Ocean(excerpt)
- 44:00 Nest - Far From Land
- 48:40 A Winged Victory for the Sullen - Atmos VIII
- 52:10 Dublin Guitar Quartet - String Quartet No. 3 Mishima V
- 55:30 Steve Reich - Electric Counterpoint I Fast
- 1:02:30 John Luther Adams - Become Ocean(end)
- 1:07:09 end
December 2nd, 2014
I am very excited about this mix. It comes from Josh Furey, the man the excellent indie label Nocturne Records.
The mix consists of ambient and slower vintage 8-bit video game
music. It starts off with a cut from Disasterpeace from the album FEZ.
I had just recently bought the album and was thinking about doing an
8-bit type of mix myself when Josh sent me his Cartridge mix. Wow, am I
glad I didn't bother with my mix because Josh's blend of 8-bit music
and video game sounds and tunes is perfect.
Thanks to Josh for his work on this fantastic mix. Check out is excellent latest album PETALS.
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00:00 • Disasterpeace - Beacon [FEZ]
- 02:34 • Pixel - Balcony [Cave Story]
- 04:03 • Martin Galway - Green Beret [Green Beret]
- 06:08 • Magyari András, Brian Coburn, Spencer Nilsen - Medusa Bay [Ecco The Dolphin]
- 08:03 • Brain Wash - Stage Four [Pulseman]
- 10:04 • Motoi Sakuraba - Map [Arcus Odyssey]
- 11:29 • Koji Kondo - Forest Temple [Ledgend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time]
- 11:29 • Rob Hubbard & Ben Daglish - Auf Wiedersehen Monty [Auf Wiedersehen Monty]
- 15:48 • Tim Follin - Ghouls n Ghosts [Ghouls n Ghosts]
- 16:39 • David Wise, Eveline Ascher & Robin Beanland - Aquatic Ambience [Donkey Kong Country]
- 19:57 • Kenji Yamamoto & Minako Hamano - Lower Brinstar [Super Metroid]
- 22:56 • David M. Hanlon - Druid II Enlightenment [Druid II Enlightenment]
- 25:47 • Michael Land - Goodsoup Family Crypt [Curse Of Monkey Island]
- 27:28 • David Wise, Eveline Ascher & Robin Beanland - Misty Menace [Donkey Kong Country]
- 29:43 • Hiroki Kikuta - Innocent Sea [Seiken Densetsu 3]
- 30:56 • Martin Galway - Wizball [Wizball]
- 34:29 • Wally Beben - Darkside [Darkside]
- 37:09 • Disasterpeace - Spirit [FEZ]
- 38:58 • Kev Bruce - Stage Atlantis Ruins [Porky Pigs Haunted Holliday]
- 41:14 • Kazunaka Yamane - Doppelganger [Double Dragon II]
- 42:58 • Junko Tamiya - Ichirou's Death [Sweet Home]
- 44:32 • Neil Brennan - Way of the Exploding Fist [Way of the Exploding Fist]
- 45:13 • Masami Ueda - The Second Floor [Resident Evil II]
- 48:04 • Masaki Hashimoto - Title Screen [Kabuki Quantum Fighter]
- 49:56 • Naoki Kadaka - Mothership Defeated (Game Clear) [Fester's Quest]
- 50:24 • Masaki Hashimoto - Opening [Kabuki Quantum Fighter]
- 50:56 • Mitsuhiko Takano - File Select Screen [Ledgend of Zelda: Minish Cap]
November 18th, 2014
I love the music of Loscil.
I have been listening to Loscil for ten years and I look forward to new releases more than ever. Loscil made it into my mix of favorite ambient artists and my mix of favorite ambient albums of all time. I consider Loscil music to be perfect ambient/electronic music.
Scott Morgan is the man behind Loscil & he has just released a new album - "Sea Island". I knew I was going to like it even before I heard it and I was right. This new recording is everything you'd expect from a Loscil album with some new twists. In addition to the familiar electronics, the tracks here also utilize vibraphone, voice, violin and piano.
You can stream the album here... SEA ISLAND STREAM.
You can buy it here... SEA ISLAND at KRANKY RECORDS.
The first track on the mix is from "Sea Island". I only included 3 Loscil tunes because posting on Mixcloud only allows 3 tracks from the same artist per mix. So to get around that, sort of, I included a bunch of Loscil remixes in addition to songs that just sounded like they fit.
I hope you like the mix & if you do, support Scott by buying a shitload of his music.
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00:00 Loscil - Catalina 1943
- 06:20 Rezo Glonti - Sun of Tibati
- 11:00 Heathered Pearls - Beach Shelter(loscil grind remix)
- 14:15 Loscil - Zephyr & Zephyr with strings
- 18:50 Anjou - Readings
- 23:40 Fieldhead - I'm fond of maps
- 26:30 Benoit Pioulard - Florid(Loscil remix)
- 31:35 Marconi Union - Weightless #2
- 38:00 Deep Chord - Red Lantern part 3
- 40:55 Dakota Suite - Things We Lost(Loscil remix)
- 46:50 Ethernet - Into The Woods(Loscil remix)
- 52:05 Loscil - Endless Falls
- 59:08 end
November 9th, 2014
Here's another entry in the Sunday Morning Music series. This follows the template fo earlier mixes - mostly instrumental, some vocals, some jazz, some old some new. I called it Fall Back because it was intended to be posted last weekend when daylight saving came to an end but stuff always seems to get in the way.
My favorite cut in the mix is "Art Decade" by Dylan Howe from his excellent album, "SUBTERRANEAN - New Designs On Bowie's Berlin." The album is a set of jazz covers of Bowie's Berlin instrumentals and it's awesome. You can get it on Bandcamp here... SUBTERRANEAN - New Designs On Bowie's Berlin.
The King Crimson instrumental is from the Elements tour box set which I picked up when I saw Crimson in Madison. It was easily one of the best shows I've ever seen. Ther music has been such a part of my life for such a long time that at times the music was almost overwhelming. I nearly cried when they played Schizoid Man for the encore.
Other excellent new music in this mix comes from Bill Frisell, Piers Faccini and Vincent Segal, Daniel Lanois and one of my favorite ambient albums of the year, "Headspace" by Tonepoet, which you can find here... Headspace.
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00:00 Bill Frisell - Lift Off
- 02:00 Dylan Howe - Art Decade(Bowie cover)
- 06:27 King Crimson - Fallen Angel(instrumental)
- 07:56 Steve Tibbetts - Kuladzokpa
- 09:05 Piers Faccini and Vincent Segal - The Closing of Our Eyes
- 11:25 Tonepoet - With a Whisper It's Gone
- 14:30 Bill Frisell - Reflections from the Moon
- 17:35 The Antlers - Parade
- 22:05 Land Observations - From the Heights of the Simplon Pass
- 26:35 Masayoshi Fujita - Snowstorm
- 29:50 Hopper and Gowen - Morning Order
- 36:15 El Fog - Flip and Dub
- 40:28 Daniel Lanois - Iceland
- 42:52 Devotchka - The Winner Is
- 45:53 Mahavishnu Orchestra - You Know You Know
- 50:30 The Six Parts Seven - Now Like Photographs
- 54:44 Islands of Light - Praeludium
- 56:15 Wave Temples - Birds of the Looking Jar No. 3
- 56:30 Alejandro Franov - Pasando el Mar
- 1:00:05 end
September 28th, 2014
This mix grew out of a collection of vacation songs. I wanted to put some tunes together for relaxing on the pier or around the fire. Once I started finding songs I decided to make all of them vocal acoustic tunes and the rest just fell into place. The whole mix is nice and slow and quiet. And of course acoustic.
There are a few great covers here, like the Sarah Jarosz & Phosphoerscent covers. I used some all-time favorite artists in here - Avetts, Sufjan, Andrew Bird, Iron & Wine, Paul Simon. Mostly this is a mix of older songs with some new-ish cuts.
There's not much else to say other than I really like this mix, and I can see listening to it for years to come.
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00:00 J. Tilman - Under The Sun
- 04:20 The Avett Bros. - The Ballad of Love and Hate
- 09:34 Andrew Bird - Night Sky
- 13:28 Sarah Jarosz - Simple Twist of Fate(Dylan cover)
- 18:15 Iron & Wine - Tree by the River
- 21:39 Bob Dylan - Buckets of Rain
- 24:55 Calexico - When Bellows Crack
- 28:30 Alison Krauss & Yo Yo Ma - Slumber My Darling
- 33:10 Boy & Bear - Fall at Your Feet(Crowded House cover)
- 35:00 The Lumineers - This Must Be The Place(T Heads cover)
- 38:17 Paul Simon - Hearts & Bones
- 43:53 Bon Iver - For Emma
- 47:15 Reigning Sound - Once More
- 49:50 The Low Anthem - (Don't) Tremble
- 54:00 Phosphorescent - Ya Hey(Vampire Wknd cover)
- 59:40 Clem Snide - Find Love
- 01:02:14 Paul Simon - American Tune
- 01:05:55 Walter Martin - Sing to Me
- 01:08:53 Sufjan Stevens - To Be Alone With You
- 01:11:33 Fleet Foxes - Blue Spotted Tail
- 01:14:10 J. Tillman - A Year in the Kingdom
- 01:16:43 Iron & Wine - Sodom, South Georgia
- 01:21:38 Damien Rice - The Rat Within The Grain
- 01:24:24 Andrew Bird - Sovay
- 01:29:00 Calexico - Better and Better
- 01:31:17 The Avett Bros. - Famous Flower of Manhattan
- 01:35:09 end
September 10th, 2014
Back in July I featured a guest mix from halftribe.
It was an excellent mix & a nice break for me. Well, Ryan
Bissett(halftribe) has kindly offered another mix and I jumped at the
chance to post it.
mix is absolutely pure ambient bliss. A beautiful collection perfect for any
time of year or any time of day. I've been listening to it at work and
have used it as sleep material as well. Give it a listen/download, I'm
sure any ambient lover will enjoy this mix.
Also swing by Ryan's halftribe pages:
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00'00 Steiner - Happiness And The Longing For Repetition (Unfinished)
- 05'30 SandStars - Finally Night (Original mix)
- 12'07 Stabilo - Viridity
- 19'00 Brandon Hurtado - Merci Et Bonne Nuit
- 21'50 Massergy - Baptisia
- 27'48 Halftribe - Holy Ground
- 33'25 Rdei - Untitled
- 36'16 SandStars - Cold Voice (Original mix)
- 41'21 Masaya Ozaki - Alkaline Days
- 45'17 Halftribe - The Secret Garden
- 51'10 Gareth Dickson - Harmonics
August 31st, 2014
|cinemagraph by Julien Douvier - http://juliendouvier.tumblr.com/
Sometimes I go through phases of music listening. I'll listen to a bunch of old prog rock for two weeks then move on. I pull out some old Cantebury Scene stuff from the 70s for awhile. Then I'll go on an early 80s new wave binge. Then Americana. Then ECM jazz.
This mix came out one such binge. I've been listening to a lot of Jean Michel Jarre & Tangerine Dream lately. Jean Michel Jarre was a college favorite of mine. My girlfriend in college loved JMJ. Which is probably why I married her - how many college girls like Jean Michel Jarre?!
While bingeing on JMJ & TD I knew that I wanted to use them in a mix and the train theme just seemed to flow naturally from there. So the first two JMJ tunes I chose specifically because of the train sounds in them. I think I'd like to do another berlin school mix with all artists and music from the 1970s.
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00:00 Tangerine Dream - Love on a Real Train
- 03:40 Jean Michel Jarre - Magnetic Fields pt. 3
- 06:33 Dadub - Arrival
- 09:10 Miktek - Elsewhere(fade edit)
- 14:40 Evan Marc + Steve Hillage - Resurface
- 16:30 Tangerine Dream - Rain and Thunder(Sorcerer Cinematographic Score)
- 23:00 Jean Michel Jarre - Ethnicolor II
- 25:55 Grumbling Fur - Eyoreseye
- 31:33 Mark McGuire - The Instinct
- 37:25 ??? - ???
- 41:20 Mohn - Saturn
- 48:45 Plastikman - Locomotion
- 52:45 Jean Michel Jarre - Equinoxe VII
- 59:10 Tangerine Dream - The Dream Is Always The Same
- 1:02:24 end