September 28th, 2014
This mix grew out of a collection of vacation songs. I wanted to put some tunes together for relaxing on the pier or around the fire. Once I started finding songs I decided to make all of them vocal acoustic tunes and the rest just fell into place. The whole mix is nice and slow and quiet. And of course acoustic.
There are a few great covers here, like the Sarah Jarosz & Phosphoerscent covers. I used some all-time favorite artists in here - Avetts, Sufjan, Andrew Bird, Iron & Wine, Paul Simon. Mostly this is a mix of older songs with some new-ish cuts.
There's not much else to say other than I really like this mix, and I can see listening to it for years to come.
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00:00 J. Tilman - Under The Sun
- 04:20 The Avett Bros. - The Ballad of Love and Hate
- 09:34 Andrew Bird - Night Sky
- 13:28 Sarah Jarosz - Simple Twist of Fate(Dylan cover)
- 18:15 Iron & Wine - Tree by the River
- 21:39 Bob Dylan - Buckets of Rain
- 24:55 Calexico - When Bellows Crack
- 28:30 Alison Krauss & Yo Yo Ma - Slumber My Darling
- 33:10 Boy & Bear - Fall at Your Feet(Crowded House cover)
- 35:00 The Lumineers - This Must Be The Place(T Heads cover)
- 38:17 Paul Simon - Hearts & Bones
- 43:53 Bon Iver - For Emma
- 47:15 Reigning Sound - Once More
- 49:50 The Low Anthem - (Don't) Tremble
- 54:00 Phosphorescent - Ya Hey(Vampire Wknd cover)
- 59:40 Clem Snide - Find Love
- 01:02:14 Paul Simon - American Tune
- 01:05:55 Walter Martin - Sing to Me
- 01:08:53 Sufjan Stevens - To Be Alone With You
- 01:11:33 Fleet Foxes - Blue Spotted Tail
- 01:14:10 J. Tillman - A Year in the Kingdom
- 01:16:43 Iron & Wine - Sodom, South Georgia
- 01:21:38 Damien Rice - The Rat Within The Grain
- 01:24:24 Andrew Bird - Sovay
- 01:29:00 Calexico - Better and Better
- 01:31:17 The Avett Bros. - Famous Flower of Manhattan
- 01:35:09 end
May 18th, 2014
I know this blog is supposed to be about ambient music but over the years I've posted some outliers - "Quintessential Jazz" "Footsteps" "Psalms and Lullabies" "Sunday Morning Music" "Vox Electronix" and some other odd balls. It gets a little boring just mixing nothing but floating ambient so it's nice to branch out every now and then.
This mix, "Always & Forever," is definitely on a different branch of the musical tree than ambient. It's a collection of Americana style tunes that I've been listening to a lot lately.
I've been a fan of the Avett Brothers since my daughter introduced me to them 7 or 8 years ago. Listening to the banjo as used by the Avetts and Sufjan Stevens started me on a path to enjoying stripped down, acoustic, country/americana/roots/whatever-you-want-to-call-it music.
Even though this mix is Americana music I think it still retains some of the Low Light Mixes feel. Most of the tunes are simple and laid back.
There are two soundtracks represented here, "Beasts of the Southern Wild" and "Nebraska." I love the beautiful simplicity of the "Nebraska" soundtrack. It always conjures up the black and white landscape images from the film.
Oops, there are three soundtracks used in this mix. I forgot about "Inside Llewyn Davis." Another of my favorite films from last year. The job Oscar Issac did was fabulous and so I couldn't resist using two cuts from the album.
Also included in this mix are four artists that I heard for the first time in 2013, Elephant Revival, Valerie June, Johnny Flynn and Gregory Alan Isakov. All excellent recordings.
Some other artists that I just had to include are The Avett Brothers because, well, they're the Avett Brothers. Also Blessed Feathers because they are local duo that does awesome music. And Andrew Bird because he has become my favorite all around artist over the last 2 or 3 years.
I hope you all enjoy this newest diversion from the ambient formula. I like this mix so much that I'll probably do more.
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00:00 Oscar Issac & Marcus Mumford - Fare Thee Well(Dinks Song)
- 02:52 We Are The West - JV Tryouts
- 07:00 Night Beds - Even If We Try
- 10:50 Avett Brothers - Souls Like The Wheels
- 14:40 Mark Orton - Their Pie
- 16:40 Blessed Feathers - Everyone I Love Is You
- 20:55 Delta Spirit - Devil Knows You're Dead
- 24:15 Benh Zeitlin & Dan Romer - The Survivors
- 27:15 Elephant Revival - Spinning
- 29:33 Valerie June - Somebody to Love
- 32:57 Johnny Flynn - Einstein's Idea
- 38:45 Andrew Bird - Lit From Underneath
- 42:00 Carolina Chocolate Drops - Leaving Eden
- 46:22 Gregory Alan Isakov - A Suitcase Full of Sparks
- 50:15 Sarah Jarosz - Floating in the Balance
- 53:00 Andrew Bird - Danse Carribe
- 58:05 Oscar Issac - Green, Green Rocky Road
- 1:01:08 Elephant Revival - Remembering a Beginning
- 1:04:55 Mark Orton - Magna Carta
- 1:07:24 end