December 14th, 2013
I love dubby ambient. I think this is my third dub mix this year. I'm sure I'll grow tired of this style of music but for now I'm soaking it in. It was snowing while I made this mix & the music just seemed to fit the winter mood. Hence the name "A Winter's Dub."
Many of the tracks in this mix came from Bandcamp. As a matter of fact, all the links in the tracklist are to Bandcamp pages. I love Bandcamp. So easy & convenient. And great for discovering new music. I bought a bunch of stuff this year by following other folks & sampling we they buy.
Here is my Bandcamp collection for anyone that's interested.
Enjoy the dub!
T R A C K L I S T
August 13th, 2013
I happened to come across a new tune from Moritz Von Oswald Trio. The song, Blue Dub,
has this great, slow, sparse dub thing going on that I love. I knew as
soon as I heard it that I'd have to make a new mix of dub related
"dub transmissions" is, duh, is mix of dub tunes. I've done them
before & this one is similar to the others. I think the previous
ones have had parts that are a little noisier & spacier than this
mix. Most of these tunes have a beat, although that beat can be very
laid back and muffled.
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00:00 Moritz Von Oswald Trio - Blue Dub
- 05:30 The Black Dog - Sleep Deprivation 1
- 09:30 krill.minima - Kalypso
- 12:50 Holger Flinsch - Navigator
- 19:10 Massive Attack - Cool Monsoon
- 23:00 Deepcord - Theme From Silent World
- 32:20 Rainforest Spiritual Enslavement - The Spirit Wore the Shoes of the Boy
- 37:10 Iminazole - Sunny
- 41:20 The Green Kingdom - dustloop4
- 44:05 Deadbeat - Portable Memory
- 47:30 As If - Crumble to Dust
- 54:30 Pablo Bolivar - Walk Man Fever
- 1:05:05 As If - To Be Ground
- 1:09:30 Bjorn Rohde - Forest of Forgotten Hearts
- 1:15:35 end
January 4th, 2013
I love the end of the year because of all the lists that get posted all over the place. I love discovering releases that I knew nothing about. The folks over at Headphone Commute have started their mammoth collection of 15 best of lists here.
Over at A Closer Listen they have lists for best field recordings, modern composition, experimental, post rock, overall, etc. and guest lists.
Secret Thirteen has a ton of guest lists where I found a bunch of stuff I'd never heard of.
There is a nice eclectic list over at Textura that is worth checking out.
While cruising these list I came across some excellent electronic music. Some of techno, some idm, some dub. I found enough ambient/dub stuff to make me want to do a new dubby & dreamy mix. So that's what this new mix is, a collection slow beats with a dubby feel with some ambient synth washes to keep things dreamy.
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00:00 Ezekiel Honig & Morgan Packard - Balm
- 02:15 Submersion - Erosion II
- 04:00 Ezekiel Honig & Morgan Packard - Hibernate
- 06:55 Silent Harbour - Descending Radius Curve
- 09:00 Kabana - Reflex
- 13:55 Ghosting Season - Through Your Teeth
- 18:00 DJAx - Machines
- 21:00 Deepchord - Rippling
- 22:00 Arc of Doves - Arabesque
- 24:45 1991 - High-Tech Slow-Life
- 28:00 Andy Stott - Luxury Problems
- 30:30 Deepchord - Theme from Silent World
- 36:40 Alteria Percepsyne - Circumvent
- 39:10 sonmi451 - Vladivostok
- 44:00 Coppice Halifax - Dusk II (axs silent night breathing)
- 49:50 Voice from the Lake - Hgs
- 53:55 Lee Gamble - 3,4 synthetics
- 54:25 Willits & Sakamoto - I Don’t Want To Understand
- 1:00:33 end
February 13th, 2012
Ambient dub, minimal dub, ambi-dub, whatever you want to call it, is something that I listen to every now & then. I like making mixes with this music because the tracks flow so well together.
I've done three previous dub mixes and while they are all laid back, this one may be more so. It collects some dubby cuts & weaves in some noise & washes of field recordings from the fantastic ambi-dub recording, "DeepChord presents Echospace - Liumin." The bonus cd for that album is all the field recordings that were the source material for the tracks on the other disc.
Not all the cuts are straight up dub tracks, but they do all fit together nicely. Almost all the tracks are new with the exception of the krill.minima & Plastikman tunes.
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00:00 Andy Stott - Submission
- 01:10 Sven Schienhammer - Sound Signals for Other Planets
- 04:15 Bop - My Heart in a Freezer
- 06:10 Demdike Stare - Matilda's Dream
- 09:50 Resoe - Edith's Serenade(r.i.p)
- 13:52 Overcast Sound - Devil's Mountain
- 14:25 Robag Wruhme - Brucke Eins
- 14:25 Deepchord - Untitled #1 (runs concurently)
- 15:50 Vatican Shadow - missing hmm364 squadron purple foxes assassins
- 18:05 Moritz Von Oswald Trio - Pattern #4
- 20:35 Demdike Stare - Nothing But The Night 2
- 22:50 Marow - Iridescence
- 24:15 Coppice Halifax - Sunken Dancehall
- 29:35 Sven Schienhammer - Being Immersed in Another World
- 35:55 Deepchord - Untitled #7
- 36:40 krill.minima - Princess of the Undersea Gardens
- 40:35 Koss - Monday Conversations
- 42:55 Coppice Halifax - Luxury
- 47:50 Plastikman - cor ten
- 50:10 Sven Schienhammer - Back Into The Here & Now
- 54:30 krill.minima - sommerdellen
- 57:45 end
December 12th, 2010
The term "dubscapes" in the title of the mix pretty much says it all. This is dub mix. I've used dubby style songs in mixes before but never did a whole dub mix.
Of course after setting out to do an all dub mix, I veered off course pretty quickly by including a cover of the Twin Peaks theme & track from Vangelis. I'd been looking for a way to work those two tunes into a mix & they seem to fit pretty well here.
The Twin Peaks cover is by Talvihorros. He has an excellent recording out on Hibernate called "Music in Four Movements". After buying that album Ben Chatwin(Talvihorros) was kind enough to send me a copy of his cover of the Twin Peaks theme. I liked this version immediately & knew I had to find a home for it in a mix.
One track in the mix is from an album that will end up in my top ten list this year. The album is Deepchord presents Echospace - Liumin/Liumin Reduced. It's a double album with the first being great ambient dub/techno and the second an album of field recorded treatments made by Rod Modell in Tokyo. An immersive record that I highly recommend.
The dub used in this mix is fairly ambient, especially towards the end where the ambient drones & washes come in & the beats slow way down.
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00:00 Fluxion - Field
- 03:25 Polmo Polpo - Rottura
- 08:55 Marconi Union - Temperature Drop
- 13:28 Talvihorros - Twin Peaks Theme
- 17:55 Deepchord presents Echospace - In Echospace
- 21:30 Vangelis - Antartica
- 26:30 The Orb - Slug Dub
- 31:25 Rod Modell - Mars Oil
- 36:16 Fluxion - Plain
- 38:50 Mokira - Lord, Am I Going Down
- 42:00 Wixel - You're Inside Your Own shadow
- 44:45 Sval - Valldal
- 51:20 end
April 17th, 2010
The mixes are coming fast and furious! I'm trying to crank out a few more than normal. This one seems to be fast paced compared to the usual mixes found here.
This creation is similar to a mix I did in 2008 called "Motion for Relief". Ambient dub would be the best way to describe this installment. Not all the tunes are "dub" but most have beats, some more prominent than others. The feel is still pretty laid back, with just enough going on to give a sense of movement. Hence the title, "eppur si muove(and yet it moves)", which is apparently a phrase uttered by Galileo.
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00:00 Pan American - B esso
- 04:30 Deepchord - Vantage Isle (echospace reshape)
- 08:50 Aardvarck - bloom 4
- 11:45 Marconi Union - Shibuya
- 14:45 Porter Ricks - Redundance 3
- 20:40 Rhythm & Sound - Hit You Version ??
- 27:40 Kiln - Royal Peppermint Forest
- 30:50 Rena Jones - Indra's Web
- 33:40 Rod Modell - beach
- 37:20 Shuttle 358 - Calty
- 40:50 Marconi Union - We Travel
- 47:25 Jonathan Hughes - Dieresis
- 49:40 Basic Channel - Radiance i edit
- 53:30 James Murray - eleven (decades mix)
- 59:57 end
December 6th, 2008
I thought I'd try something a bit different...a mix that is beat driven. Of course it's not going to be some house music mix or techno dance trax.
The mix is sort of in the same vein as the ones done by Alan, of Great Axescapes fame. He has a fantastic mix called "nowthatswhaticallmnmlambidubtechno! vol.1" that you can find here...vol. 1. This mix is similar in that dubby, ambient way. Only one artist, Quantec, in common though.
I wasn't sure how the mix would work but I like the results very much. I'm listenbing to it as I type this, nice & loud so the low dubby bass lines reverberate around the house. Excellent.
The other different thing about this mix is it is shorter than the others. An online friend, Mick, is running The "15 Minutes Of Fame’ Mix Series" & he asked me to do some mixes. The only requirements are up to 40 minutes in length & no more than 10 tracks. That should help with some experimentation, may be an idea will work in a 30 minute mix but not for the usual hour-long mix. When I get a link to the mix series I'll post it here.
I should be able to crank out 3 more mixes by the end of the year. Next up...a piano mix, a noisy-droney-scratchy mix and a best of the year mix.
t r a c k l i s t : 00:00 Plastikman - consumed 04:44 Marconi Union - buildings without people 08:05 Trentemoller - miss you 11:50 Yagya - rhythm of snow #5 17:55 Underworld - pizza for eggs 20:20 Quantec - unusual signals 25:25 Ontayso - procesamiento 2.05 28:45 Tiki Obmar - ankeney, iowa 39:30 end