January 26th, 2017
The title of this mix pretty much says it all - this is a collection of excellent tracks from excellent science fiction films.
This isn't meant to be definitive as in "The Best SciFi Soundtracks of All Time!" It's just some of my favorite music from some of my favorite sci fi films. I purposely stayed away from stuff like Star Wars, Star Trek, Close Encounters and 2001. Those are a little too recognizable and most of the time don't fit with the ambient feel of this mix.
I just had to start the mix with what may be my all time favorite sci fi soundtrack - Solaris by Cliff Martinez. I like the movie pretty well but the soundtrack is what really made that film for me. Another soundtrack that I absolutely had to include is Arrival from Johann Johannsson. Easily my favorite film of last year and the soundtrack made me love it even more. A lot of the music in this mix is fairly new, released within the last ten years or so. The exception being the tracks from Blade Runner and Dune.
Are there any sci fi soundtracks that I should check out for further mixes? Any favorite sci fi film music that you have? Let me know in the comments.
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00:00 Cliff Martinez - First Sleep(Solaris)
- 02:42 Clint Mansell - Welcome to Lunar Industries(Moon)
- 06:00 Ben Salisbury & Geoff Barrow - The Turing Test(Ex Machina)
- 07:10 Harry Gregson-Williams - Watney's Alive(The Martian)
- 09:50 Jon Hopkins - Campfire(Monsters)
- 11:30 M83 - Starwaves(Oblivion)
- 14:38 Johann Johannsson - Arrival(Arrival)
- 17:00 Steven Price - Aningaaq(Gravity)
- 21:00 Vangelis - Fading Away(Blade Runner)
- 23:33 Toto - Paul Meets Chani(Dune)
- 26:25 Clint Mansell - First Snow(The Fountain)
- 29:17 Max Richter - Nocturne(Black Mirror)
- 31:05 Johann Johannsson - Kangaru(Arrival)
- 33:36 Underworld - Capa's Last Transmission(Sunshine)
- 35:27 Brian Eno - Prophecy Theme(Dune)
- 39:36 John Tavener - Mother & Child(Children of Men)
- 42:55 Hans Zimmer - Where We're Going(Intersteller)
- 45:41 Ben Salisbury & Geoff Barrow - Other Dreamers(Black Mirror)
- 46:31 Kyle Dixon & Michael Stein - Eleven(Stranger Things)
- 49:35 Arcade Fire - Morning Talk/Supersymmetry(Her)
- 53:15 Daft Punk - Solar Sailer(Tron 2)
- 55:40 Ben Salisbury & Geoff Barrow - Bunsen Burner(Ex Machina)
- 58:34 Ramin Djawadi - Exit Music(for a film)(Westworld)
- 62:58 end
December 10th, 2016
I've been on a big Johann Johnnsson kick lately. He released one of my favorite albums of the year "Orphee" a few months ago and now he has scored the excellent film "Arrival." It is a wonderful soundtrack that really adds to an already fantastic film.
Johannsson tells the story of how he made the first track in this mix, "Heptpod B," at Song Exploder here...
That new soundtrack is the jumping off point for this cinematic mix. All the music used was released this year with the exception of tracks from "The Martian" & "The Revenant" which are 2015 recordings. All these soundtracks are superb and I hope you will seek out the full albums. I've included the name of the film in the tracklist.
T R A C K L I S T :
⦁ 00:00 Johann Johannsson - Heptapod B(Arrival)
⦁ 03:25 Nick Cave & Warren Ellis - Daedalus(Mars)
⦁ 06:15 Harry Gregson-Williams - Message from Hermes(The Martian)
⦁ 08:50 Adam Bryanbaum Wiltzie - Bring This Place to Life(Salero)
⦁ 11:30 A Winged Victory for the Sullen - Metro, pt.3(Iris)
⦁ 15:05 Mac Quayle - leavem3here.flac(Mr. Robot)
⦁ 20:10 Starkey - Ticks(Charting Stardust)
⦁ 24:15 Paul Haslinger - Security is a Myth(Halt & Catch Fire)
⦁ 26:45 Ramin Djawadi - Something I Can Never Have(Westworld)
⦁ 32:10 Adam Bryanbaum Wiltzie - Lithium, the new era(Salero)
⦁ 35:20 A Winged Victory for the Sullen - Flashback Antoine(Iris)
⦁ 37:15 Dustin O'Halloran & Hauschka - Memories(Lion)
⦁ 38:40 Adam Bryanbaum Wiltzie - end credits(Salero)
⦁ 41:25 Johann Johannsson - One of Twelve(Arrival)
⦁ 44:05 Riuichi Sakamoto - Glass & Buffalo(The Revenant)
⦁ 45:40 Nick Cave & Warren Ellis - Mama's Room(Hell or High Water)
⦁ 47:55 A Winged Victory for the Sullen - endless battle of the maudlin ballade, pt. 3(Iris)
⦁ 50:25 Ramin Djawadi - Exit Music(Westworld)
⦁ 54:47 end
April 6th, 2014
Grab a cup of coffee and the paper with this mix as your Sunday soundtrack.
This iteration of the Sunday morning series uses mostly new music including a couple of great Bob Dylan covers from Sarah Jarosz and Phosphorescent. I couldn't resist starting the mix with the wonderful "Morning" from Beck's new release.
From there we move on to a beautiful, jazzy track from Philémon Chante that I have been itching to use for a while. That cut is from his album called Les Sessions Cubaines which you can find on Bandcamp here...Philémon Chante
There a couple soundtracks represented in the mix from two of the best films of 2013, "Her" and "Nebraska." Arcade Fire and Owen Pallett collaborated for the "Her" soundtrack, with two cuts in this mix. Mark Orton did the beautifully simple soundtrack for "Nebraska" and it shows up here in the track "The Old Compressor Escape." I've got an Americana mix waiting in the wings which will have more from that soundtrack.
One of my other favs is the cut from Bill Callahan. He remixed his 2013 album, "Dream River," as a dub album called "Have Fun With God." It's fantastic!
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00:00 Beck - Morning
- 05:12 M. Ostermeier - Sunlight on My Desk
- 07:55 Sam Prekop - A Cloud to the Back
- 11:30 Philémon Chante - J'arrive toujours un peu trop tard
- 15:40 Sarah Jarosz - Simple Twist of Fate
- 20:20 Mark Orton - The Old Compressor Escape
- 22:50 Thievery Corporation - le coeur (feat lou lou ghelichkhani)
- 25:45 Assia Cunego - Canto Ostinato Section 25-30
- 29:00 Segue - slow mornings
- 34:00 Bill Callahan - Small Dub
- 37:45 Arcade Fire and Owen Pallett - Dimensions
- 40:34 Darcy James Argue's Secret Society - An Invitation
- 43:08 Nick Cave - Into My Arms
- 47:17 Phosphorescent - Tomorrow is a Long Time
- 51:30 Paul Buchanan - Mid Air
- 53:45 Arcade Fire and Owen Pallett - We're All Leaving
- 56:17 end
March 23rd, 2014
Most regular visitors to this blog are aware that I also post these mixes over at Mixcloud. I love Mixcloud. I got in very early on and so have developed quite a few followers. It's been fun watching it grow.
One thing that has helped in growing that following is being one of the featured cloudcasts in the Ambient/Chillout category. Well, apparently now Low Light Mixes is also one of the featured cloudcasts in the Classical category. Some of my mixes my have some classical related tunes but I definitely wouldn't characterize these mixes as "classical." But, what the heck, I'll take the extra exposure.
Being featured in the classical category was the genesis for this new mix, "things left unsaid." It's an all classical mix. Maybe it would be better to call it an orchestral mix because about half of the tracks are from film soundtracks, so not classical in the purest sense.
Most of the music is fairly new. The oldest cut being the Jonnie Greenwood piece from 2007. There a few tracks from Caleb Burhans and David Lang that are from 2013 releases that didn't make it onto my year in review lists because I didn't find them until 2014. I found them on someone else's best of list. They are both excellent recordings. And of course I had to include some Johann Johannsson because I pretty much like everything he does.
I hope you enjoy this classical diversion.
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00:00 Max Richter - Spring 0(Recomposed By Max Richter: Vivaldi, The Four Seasons)
- 00:40 Johann Johannsson - By the River
- 01:10 Caleb Burhans - The Things Left Unsaid
- 05:00 Jonnie Greenwood - Open Spaces
- 08:38 Alexandre Desplat - L'hôpital
- 11:56 Jon Hopkins - How I Live Now
- 16:15 Johann Johannsson - The Jewish Cemetery on Moellegade
- 18:20 Tom Tykwer, Johnny Klimek, Reinhold Heil - Prelude, The Atlas March
- 19:31 Maya Beiser - Spiegel im Spiegel
- 28:58 David Lang - no. 5. i am walking
- 33:10 Colin Stetson - All the Days I've Missed
- 34:10 Caleb Burhans - nunc dimittis
- 38:25 Alexandre Desplat - Skies
- 43:30 Max Richter - Winter 3(Recomposed By Max Richter: Vivaldi, The Four Seasons)
- 47:33 Tom Tykwer, Johnny Klimek, Reinhold Heil - The Cloud Atlas Sextet
- 51:26 Johann Johannsson - The Rocket Builder
- 57:39 Caleb Burhans - The Things Left Unsaid(end)
- 58:55 Alexandre Desplat - De rouille et d'os
- 1:00:51 end
February 23rd, 2012
I guess you could say that all the music I listen to is a soundtrack of one sort or another. Soundtrack for cleaning the house, soundtrack for sleeping, for biking, for reading, for living. Most of my mixes could be considered to be mini soundtracks.
So what makes this one different? I guess the tracks collected here just sort of had that "soundtrack" feel when I first heard them. I imagined a scene from a film with the tune as the soundtrack. The tracklist then becomes a set of "imaginary soundtracks."
Some of the cuts, such as those from Cliff Martinez & Clint Mansell, are from actual soundtracks. The others just seemed to fit the mood.
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00:00 Cliff Martinez - First Drive Home
- 00:40 James Murray - Greenlands
- 04:25 Vieo Abiungo - Insincerity peeked through Cloudlessly...
- 06:51 Roly Porter - Caladan
- 09:20 Jacaszek - Orszula
- 12:22 Olafur Arnalds - lag fyrir oemmu
- 15:45 Craig Armstrong - Starless
- 20:00 Max Richter - Fictions & Data
- 21:40 Popol Vuh - Grab der Mutter
- 23:55 Jon Hopkins - Opalescent
- 25:10 Emanuele Errante - Memoirs
- 30:25 Ryan Teague - Cell Cycle
- 34:16 Clint Mansell - We're Not Programs Gerty
- 36:55 Peter Broderick - No More Space
- 37:36 Johann Johannsson - They Being Dead yet Speaketh
- 40:35 Biosphere - Iberia
- 44:07 Maya Beiser - Only Breath
- 45:50 Cliff Martinez - See You in Four
- 47:33 Jon Hopkins - Fairytale
- 52:15 end
April 2nd, 2011
I love soundtracks. And if you look at the tracklist for this mix, you'll see that I have a few favorite composers.
At the top of that list are Clint Mansell & Cliff Martinez. They are responsible for two of my favorite soundtracks, The Fountain & Solaris.
Jon Hopkins, a new composer on the soundtrack scene, could soon join those two as a favorite. His soundtrack for the movie Monsters, got a lot of play here. I ended up using three tracks from that album in this mix, I just couldn't resist.
Actually I doubled up a few artists in this mix, Martinez, Hopkins, Sigur Ros, Nick & Warren Ellis, Underworld. Normally I don't like to do that but it just sort of happened that way. This is a relatively short mix but I think it works. Sometimes I don't make it to the end of some mixes, this way hopefully listeners are still in to it & focused at the end.
Enjoy this "undiscovered soundtrack".
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00:00 Clint Mansell - Winter Ghosts of a Future (Requiem for a Dream)
- 01:45 Jon Hopkins - Candles (Monsters)
- 03:35 Cliff Martinez - And We're Here to Listen (Traffic)
- 05:15 Thomas Newman - Still Dead (American Beauty)
- 07:55 Nick Cave & Warren Ellis - The Road (The Road)
- 11:30 Underworld & John Murphy - Searle Finds the Crew of Icarus (Sunshine)
- 12:20 Explosions in the Sky - An Ugly Fact of Life (Friday Nigh Lights)
- 14:10 Sigur Ros - síðasta ferð (hlemmur)
- 16:33 Craig Armstrong - Main Theme (The Clearing)
- 17:40 Ennio Morricone - Tema di Ali (The Battle of Algiers)
- 21:32 John Zorn - Family Found(cello) (Family Found(Filmworks XII))
- 23:50 Nick Cave & Warren Ellis - Micro Sucker (White Lunar)
- 24:25 Underworld - Capa's Last Transmission Home (Sunshine)
- 26:10 Sigur Ros - fyrsta ferð (hlemmur)
- 28:25 Hilmar Hilmarsson - I Flew (Angels of the Universe)
- 30:25 Cliff Martinez - First Drive Home (First Snow)
- 30:50 Jon Hopkins - Water (Monsters)
- 31:55 James Newton Howard - I'm Sorry (I am Legend)
- 33:50 Jon Hopkins - Campfire (Monsters)
- 36:11 end
April 19th, 2009
I got the idea for this mix over at the Hypnos records forum. In the "Now Playing" thread, someone posted several entries in a row about listening to various soundtracks. Some favorites of mine, Cliff Martinez's "Traffic" & "Narc" and Clint Mansell's "The Fountain", were on the list. It got me thinking & listening to soundtracks for a week or two and this new mix, "Cinematica", is the result.
There are 25 tracks in this mix, so it keeps moving pretty well I think. I realized after I was done that a few of the tracks appear in other low light mixes. Oh well, that's bound to happen with so many mixes and fewer and fewer brain cells.
I would say my favorite soundtracks from the past 10 - 15 years would have to be "Solaris" from Cliff Martinez & "The Fountain" by Clint Mansell. I purposely used a lesser known Martinez cut from "Wicker Park" but one that had the same "Solaris" feel to it. Then of course I discovered that I'd already used the same cut in an earlier mix. Duh!
This mix was easy & fun to put together so I'm sure I'll be doing another one in the future. Any suggestions for essential soundtracks that I should check out?
T R A C K L I S T : 00:00 Nick Cave & Warren Ellis - The Proposition #2 (The Proposition) 02:00 Graeme Revell - Cue 34 (Until the End of the World) 04:10 Thomas Newman - Drive Away(End Title) (Lemony Snicket) 06:50 Cliff Martinez - What Shoe Size (Wicker Park) 08:05 Andrey Dergatchev - Port (The Return) 10:05 Max Richter - Shadow Journal (Valse Avec Bachir) 12:15 John Murphy/Chrales Gounod - Taxi(Ave Maria) (28 Days Later) 14:07 Mogwai - 7-25 (Zidane, a 21st Century Portait) 18:20 Clint Mansell - Death is a Disease (The Fountain) 20:40 Explosions in the Sky - From West Texas (Friday Night Lights) 22:26 Brian Eno - Always Returning (Apollo) 25:35 Corker/Conboy - First Crossing (3 Degrees Colder) 27:05 David Byrne - Canal Life (Lead Us Not Into Temptation) 29:20 Peter Gabriel - A Sense of Home (Long Walk Home) 30:50 Sigur Ros - #3 untitled (Hlemmur) 33:05 Andrey Dergatchev - Georgians (The Return) 35:13 Hilmar Orn Hilmarsson - Ars Moriendi (Children of Nature) 37:20 Philip Glass - Organic (Koyaanisqatsi) 42:10 Gabriel Yared & Underworld - Mending Things (Breaking & Entering) 44:20 Cliff Martinez - Helicopter (Traffic) 46:05 John Murphy - Red Dresses (28 Days Later) 46:43 Devotchka - The Winner Is (Little Miss Sunshine) 49:35 David Byrne - Dirty Hair (Lead Us Not Into Temptation) 52:06 Peter Gabriel - Passion Extras #4 (Passion) 53:55 James Newton Howard - I'm Listening (I am Legend) 55:45 Brian Eno - an ending(ascent) (Apollo, 28 Days Later, Clean, Traffic) 59:50 end