Here's the latest Sunday Morning Music installment. The mix starts with cuts from two of my fav albums of 2015 by Aero Flynn & Sufjan Stevens.
Aero Flynn is fronted by Josh Scott, a product of the same Eau Claire, Wisconsin music scene that gave us Justin Vernon(Bon Iver). Scott was in a band called Amateur Love that shared a couple of members with a band that Vernon was in, DeYarmond Edison. According to Chris Porterfield, who was in DeYarmond & would later form Field Report, Josh Scott was the most talented guy in that scene.
Just as Amateur Love was about to break Josh Scott got spooked and broke up the band and fled to Chicago. Since then he has flirted with comebacks but mental and physical illness always got in the way.
Now he is back with a fantastic new album released this past spring. The record was recorded in Justin Vernon's Eau Claire studio and was produced by Vernon. The sound is very different from Amateur Love, more electronics involved, the vocals more ethereal. The best way to describe the music is a cross between Radiohead & Bon Iver.
The Amateur Love album was re-released in 2012 by Vernon. He started his own record company just so he could release that album. And it's a wonderful recording, so full of promise. I wish there had been more.
Here are some links related to the Aero Flynn story...
|Sufjan in Milwaukee|
After those opening cuts it's all downhill. Haha. Actually there is much more good music in the rest of the mix. Most of it is new & it fits with the laid back Sunday morning feel of past mixes.
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00:00 Aero Flynn - Moonbeams
- 06:12 Sufjan Stevens - Fourth of July
- 10:41 Bill Seaman - Another Day
- 13:15 Casino versus Japan - Scenic Loop
- 15:45 David Holmes - Hey Maggy
- 20:15 Julian Lynch - A Day at the Racetrack
- 22:50 San Fermin - Astronaut
- 26:12 Johann Johannsson - A Model of the Universe
- 28:55 Helios - Emancipation
- 31:15 Jakob Bro - Gefion
- 38:15 Andrew Bird - Rising Water
- 42:30 Alva Noto - Isola
- 45:35 Evan Chapman - Angels(The xx cover)
- 48:10 Jose Gonzalez - Vissel
- 51:20 Jon Hopkins - How I live now
- 55:47 end