As most readers of this blog probably know, I cross-post these mixes over at Mixcloud. Recently I got a request from listener, TikTaalik. This is part of his post, "I was wondering if you could compile a mix that is optimistic throughout. The sort of ambience that I tend only to hear once or twice in a set. Can you get a solid hour of calm ambient music with a euphoric undertone?"
At Low Light Mixes we give the people what they want, so here it is...Positively Ambient. I'm not sure if all of the music qualifies as "optimistic" or "euphoric" but it is all calm & beautiful. I start things off with Eno's "An Ending(ascent)" because I think it's one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever written. Although it may work better as "an ending" than as a beginning, I wanted it up front so everyone that plays the mix is guaranteed to hear it.
I hope the rest of the mix doesn't get too sweet or too pretty sounding. I don't want it to dissolve into new age crapola. I dug into the archives for some of the tunes like James Johnson's "Entering Twilight" from 2000, Jim Cole from 2002, Diatonis from 2003, Fox & Budd from 2003, Jeff Pearce from 1999 and Stephen Bacchus from 1998.
The feel of this mix is definitely soothing, no dissonant chords to be found. It works well as sleep music, meditation music, , etc. Just good 'ole traditional ambient music.
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00:00 Brian Eno - An Ending(ascent)
- 04:00 Arc of Doves - Reverie
- 09:00 James Johnson - Entering Twilight
- 14:45 Diatonis - Winding Road
- 18:00 Hammock - Maybe they will sing for us tomorrow
- 23:10 Stephen Bacchus - The Returning
- 30:25 John Foxx & Harold Budd - A Delicate Romance
- 36:45 Jim Cole - Light Shines in Your Heart
- 43:10 Jeff Pearce - Daylight Slowly
- 44:45 Hammock - Three Sisters
- 48:50 d_rradio - Into the Morning
- 54:05 Quosp - Quosp
- 57:30 end