September 28th, 2016
Two of my favorite albums this year are from Icelandic composers, Jóhann Jóhannsson - Orphée and Ólafur Arnalds - Islands. How does the tiny country of Iceland produce so many incredible artists? I don't know how but I'm happy every time new music comes from that mysterious place.
The moment I heard these two recordings I knew I'd have to make a new modern classical mix. All of the music here is fairly new and most of it has an accessible classical take with an ambient touch.
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00:00 Johann Johannsson - Flight From The City
- 06:06 Ólafur Arnalds - Oldurot
- 10:27 Kenneth James Gibson - Poured Semi Silently Upon You
- 16:27 Matt Dunkley - Cycle 6
- 21:12 Johann Johannsson - A Sparrow Alighted Upon Our Shoulder
- 23:36 A Winged Victory for the Sullen - Atmos VII
- 26:00 Ólafur Arnalds - 1995
- 29:48 Sarah Neufeld & Colin Stetson - And Still They Move
- 32:23 Nick Cave & Warren Ellis - Casino
- 34:00 Kenneth James Gibson - Long Gone Canadian Summer
- 40:30 Johann Johannsson - Good Night Day
- 44:22 Matt Dunkley - Cycle 5
- 48:06 Ólafur Arnalds - Doria
- 51:11 Dustin O'Halloran - We Move Lightly
- 54:02 Nils Frahm - The Shooting
- 58:26 Ryuichi Sakamoto - Hell Ensemble
- 61:01 end
September 11th, 2016
This is mix #2 in the Ambient Decades series. As the titles says, this mix focuses on ambient music in the 1980s.
There were some great ambient albums in the 80s, albums that go down as some of the best ambient of all time. That would be Brian Eno - On Land, Steve Roach - Structures from Silence and Brian Eno & Harold Budd - The Pearl. Beyond those 3 there are more great 80s recordings from Roach & Eno and other classics & worthwhile music.
I was definitely happy to include a cut from Gone to Earth by David Sylvian, one of my favorite albums of all time. It's such a great recording and at the time it blew my mind.
Next up - the 90s.
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00:00 Steve Roach - Structures from Silence(1984)
- 10:40 Brian Eno - Lantern Marsh(1982)
- 15:20 David Sylvian - The Wooden Cross(1986)
- 19:20 Michael Brook - Midday(1985)
- 24:30 Michael Stearns - As The Earth Kissed The Moon(1981)
- 31:00 Vangelis - Empty Streets(1982)
- 36:00 Thom Brennan - Moosoon(1987)
- 44:10 Steve Roach - A Circular Ceremony(1988)
- 51:58 Brian Eno & Harold Budd - An Echo of Night(1984)
- 54:00 Jeff Greinke - Island Arc(1986)
- 56:50 Harold Budd - Sandtreader(1986)
- 61:45 David Sylvian & Holger Czukay - Mutability(1989)
- 72:45 U2 - 4th of July(1984)
- 74:33 Peter Gabriel - Slow Water(1985)
- 77:08 end