June 19th, 2016
On my list of the greatest recordings ever made you'll find the 1978 ECM records release of Steve Reich - Music for 18 Musicians. It blew me away when I heard it for the first time. I've been a fan of minimal classical music ever since.
I have a ton of Steve Reich and Philip Glass music in my collection. Recently I discovered a 2010 recording of Philip Glass music by the Delta Saxophone Quartet called Minimal Tendencies. It's an excellent album and it got me thinking about a minimal mix. So I stole the title of their album and started the mix with one of their tracks.
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00:00 Delta Saxophone Quartet - Philip Glass Mishima I
- 03:50 Colin Stetson - Clothed in the skin of the dead
- 06:20 Pat Metheny - Steve Reich Electric Counterpoint 1 Fast
- 13:06 Philip Glass - Closing
- 18:52 Alexandre Desplat - Alan
- 21:39 Max Richter - Shadow Journal
- 26:50 Steve Reich - Six Marimbas
- 32:00 John Adams - The Death of Klinghoffer Chorus of Exiled Palestinians
- 37:55 Steve Reich - Music for 18 Musicians Pulses
- 43:20 John Luther Adams - The Farthest Place
- 50:11 Julia Rovinsky - Philip Glass Metamorphosis II
- 53:20 Clint Mansell - Ghosts of Things To Be
- 54:30 John Adams - Fog Tropes
- 57:15 Kronos Quartet - Glass String Quartet No. 2 Company IV
- 59:05 The Dublin Guitar Quartet - Philip Glass Mishima V
- 62:32 Steve Reich - Mallet Quartet II Slow
- 65:40 Evan Chapman - Philip Glass Opening
- 71:49 end
December 6th, 2015
As with all mixes this one had a specific starting point or inspiration - the incredible new album from Max Richter - Sleep. It's 8 hours long! 8 hours! Here's a link to purchase the full version...
I'm a sucker for high concept projects so I was interested from the start. Add that to the fact that I am a fan of Richter's music and I knew I'd probably love it. And yup, I do. It's the perfect combination of Richter's classical style with an ambient sensibility.
I knew I had to make a mix with tracks from the Sleep album. I decided to keep the whole mix in the classical realm. A lot of the tunes are new like the Besarin Quartet stuff. Some cuts I've been waiting to use for awhile now, like the John Luther Adams cut.
As much as I like the Max Richter tracks I think my favorite track in the mix is Pie Jesu. The cut is from The Wine of Silence by Andrew Keeling, David Singleton and Robert Fripp. The music is based on Fripp's soundscape series, guitar improvisations that use tape loops and echo and reverb. From there Keeling and Singleton scored the soundscapes for orchestra. They finally subjected the orchestral recording to further electronic manipulation. The result is transcendent. It's a beautiful, beautiful album.
The title of the mix comes from a favorite Andrew Bird song, Night Sky, and I thought it fit somehow. I really like the way each piece dissolves into the next on this mix. I hope you like it too.
T R A C K L I S T
- 00:00 Nick Cave & Warren Ellis - Farwell at Tinguit
- 02:15 Max Richter - Patterns(cypher)
- 05:55 David Wingo - Opening(Take Shelter ost)
- 6:55 John Luther Adams - The Light that Fills the World
- 11:20 Bersarin Quartet - die nachte sind erfullt...
- 15:50 Brambles - Such Owls as You
- 20:25 Monty Adkins - Sendai Threnody
- 22:35 Robert Fripp, Andrew Keeling, David Singleton - Pie Jesu
- 29:40 Max Richter - Nor Earth, Nor Boundless Sea
- 37:10 Olan Mill - Tallole
- 40:35 Aphex Twin - Rhubarb orc. 19.53 rev
- 46:40 Keaton Henson - Elevator Song
- 49:45 Bersarin Quartet - verflossen ist das gold der tage
- 53:00 Islands of Light - Gypta
- 56:14 end
December 28th, 2014
I've mentioned many times that a mix often starts with a single track that interests me and takes off from there. In the case of this classical mix, the track is "In Spe" by Arvo Part.
I first heard the piece via YouTube & loved it right from the start. As far as I can tell it has not been recorded for official release so the version in this mix is the performance I heard on YouTube. You can find the original ten minute track here... In Spe, Arvo Pärt, Georgian Sinfonietta
Creating a classical mix right now works nicely because I just bought the excellent new piece by John Luther Adams - Become Ocean. It's basically an orchestral drone piece & it's beautiful.
One of my favorite recordings of 2014, Atmos by A Winged Victory for the Sullen, makes two appearances in the mix. It's a gorgeous record that fits perfectly in this mix.
A couple of other tracks that I was happy to squeeze into the mix are "Odi Et Amo" by Jóhann Jóhannsson and The Dublin Guitar Quartet's version of Philip Glass' "String Quartet No. 3 Mishima V." I've always loved the Philip Glass soundtrack "Mishima" and this guitar quartet version is sublime.
I guess this will be my last mix for 2014. I'll start a new mix right off the bat in 2015.
I'd like to thank everyone who has been following this blog for almost 9 years now. I've always said that I'd make mixes just for my own amusement, even if nobody else ever heard them. But when other folks get some enjoyment out of them it makes it more fun and meaningful. Plus it's just plain cool to have connected to people all over the world through these mixes. Thanks!
Enjoy & Happy New Year!
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00:00 Jonny Greenwood - Overtones(The Master OST)
- 02:00 Arvo Part - In Spe(Georgian Sinfonietta recording)
- 07:20 A Winged Victory for the Sullen - Atmos XII
- 10:45 Valentin Silvestrov - Symphony No. 5(excerpt)
- 14:18 Christina Vantzou - vhs
- 18:46 Islands of Light - Goerde
- 21:55 Ólafur Arnalds - Highway
- 24:10 Jóhann Jóhannsson - Odi Et Amo
- 27:10 Hildur Gudnadottir - Unveiled
- 30:33 Vieo Abiungo - Insincerity Peeked Through Cloudlessly(Upward Arrows Remix)
- 33:55 John Luther Adams - Become Ocean(excerpt)
- 44:00 Nest - Far From Land
- 48:40 A Winged Victory for the Sullen - Atmos VIII
- 52:10 Dublin Guitar Quartet - String Quartet No. 3 Mishima V
- 55:30 Steve Reich - Electric Counterpoint I Fast
- 1:02:30 John Luther Adams - Become Ocean(end)
- 1:07:09 end
March 23rd, 2014
Most regular visitors to this blog are aware that I also post these mixes over at Mixcloud. I love Mixcloud. I got in very early on and so have developed quite a few followers. It's been fun watching it grow.
One thing that has helped in growing that following is being one of the featured cloudcasts in the Ambient/Chillout category. Well, apparently now Low Light Mixes is also one of the featured cloudcasts in the Classical category. Some of my mixes my have some classical related tunes but I definitely wouldn't characterize these mixes as "classical." But, what the heck, I'll take the extra exposure.
Being featured in the classical category was the genesis for this new mix, "things left unsaid." It's an all classical mix. Maybe it would be better to call it an orchestral mix because about half of the tracks are from film soundtracks, so not classical in the purest sense.
Most of the music is fairly new. The oldest cut being the Jonnie Greenwood piece from 2007. There a few tracks from Caleb Burhans and David Lang that are from 2013 releases that didn't make it onto my year in review lists because I didn't find them until 2014. I found them on someone else's best of list. They are both excellent recordings. And of course I had to include some Johann Johannsson because I pretty much like everything he does.
I hope you enjoy this classical diversion.
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00:00 Max Richter - Spring 0(Recomposed By Max Richter: Vivaldi, The Four Seasons)
- 00:40 Johann Johannsson - By the River
- 01:10 Caleb Burhans - The Things Left Unsaid
- 05:00 Jonnie Greenwood - Open Spaces
- 08:38 Alexandre Desplat - L'hôpital
- 11:56 Jon Hopkins - How I Live Now
- 16:15 Johann Johannsson - The Jewish Cemetery on Moellegade
- 18:20 Tom Tykwer, Johnny Klimek, Reinhold Heil - Prelude, The Atlas March
- 19:31 Maya Beiser - Spiegel im Spiegel
- 28:58 David Lang - no. 5. i am walking
- 33:10 Colin Stetson - All the Days I've Missed
- 34:10 Caleb Burhans - nunc dimittis
- 38:25 Alexandre Desplat - Skies
- 43:30 Max Richter - Winter 3(Recomposed By Max Richter: Vivaldi, The Four Seasons)
- 47:33 Tom Tykwer, Johnny Klimek, Reinhold Heil - The Cloud Atlas Sextet
- 51:26 Johann Johannsson - The Rocket Builder
- 57:39 Caleb Burhans - The Things Left Unsaid(end)
- 58:55 Alexandre Desplat - De rouille et d'os
- 1:00:51 end