October 31st, 2009
My output hasn’t been great the last couple of months but thanks to some talented guest mixers Low Light Mixes has new material to post. This is the third guest mix in the last 4 or 5 months and they are all greatly appreciated.
For this mix Muttley presents – Back to Mine Pt. 2 – Reflections. This is our second mix from Mick, who did “Drones in Duality” back in June. He describes "Reflections" as “music for healing bereavements, remedying mental disorders brought to light, enacting occupational therapy, and cherishing the good memories that can sometimes be hard to reach.”
Mick has other fine mixes floating around the intertubes. You can find some at Subversion and his Ambient Lovers thread(congrats on 300 posts!). Soon he will have mixes available at Hydrogen Cafe and Presto Samo. Mick also collaborated with Rick at Hydrogen Cafe on a great mix called “Transference”. Check out all of the Muttley mixes, wherever you may find them.
T R A C K L I S T :
01. Brian Mcbride - The Guilt Of Uncomplicated Thoughts (from the album "When The Detail Lost Its Freedom" - Kranky) 02. Philip Jeck - Wholesome (from the album "7" - Touch) 03. Rameses III - The Kindness Of Letting Go (from the album "I Could Not Love You More" - Type) 04. Mogwai - Aidan's Waltz (from the album "Come On Die Young" - Chemikal Underground) 05. Hilmar O Hilmarrson & Sigur Ros - Degradation (from the album "Angels Of The Universe" - Import) 06. Olafur Arnalds - Lost Song (from the album "Found Songs" - Erased Tapes) 07. ASC - Highbrow (from the Warm008 12' - Warm Communications) 08. Autechre - Nil (from the album "Amber" - Warp) 09. The Drift - Noumena (from the album "Ceiling Sky" - Temporary Residence) 10. The Alpha Rhythm - The Return (from the album "Proof Of Concept" - Seedknowledge) 11. The Cinematic Orchestra - Diabolus (from the album "Motion" - Ninja Tune) 12. Badmammal - Sending And Taking (goodluck/badluck unreleased) 13. Glint - Double Vision (from the album "Sound In Silence" - www.glintonline.com) 14. A Silver Mount Zion - The Triumph Of Our Tired Eyes (from the album "Born Into Trouble As The Sparks Fly Upward" - Constellation)
October 18th, 2009
Generally I like autumn. I don't mind the colder temps, colors are great, don't have to mow the lawn anymore, etc. But this year the weather has been nasty, too cold too soon & lots of rain.
So I set out to do a bleak, cold October mix. But as usually happens with mixes, they take on a life of their own and lead you in different directions. I realized, as I was collecting tunes, that I didn't want the mix to turn into some dark, Halloween-ish affair.
Ultimately I turned to all new music as source material. While most of it is not all bleak & depressing, neither is it all sunny & bright. I'm glad to have worked some currents favs into the mix, such as Leyland Kirby, Sufjan Stevens, Loren Dent & Volcano Choir.
Even though today was a beautiful, sunny fall day, I'm sure there will be plenty of opportunities for a hot cup of coffee, listening to this mix & gazing beyond this, or any, window.
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00:00 wind
- 00:30 Solo Andata - Beyond this Window (from the album Solo Andata)
- 04:00 David Tagg - Wind Blown Guitar (from the album Wind Blown Guitar)
- 07:50 Aidan Baker - Explosions (from the album Dry)
- 11:30 Segue - October (from the album Grey)
- 16:00 Ian Hawgood - Shore Peotry (from the album Snow Roads)
- 16:30 Isnaj Dui - That whgich was lost (from the album unstable equlibrium)
- 22:00 Leyland Kirby - Memories live longer than dreams (from the album sadly the future is no longer what it was)
- 27:20 Sufjan Stevens - Postlude - Critical Mass (from the album The BQE)
- 29:30 Talvihorros - Handwriting Pt. 1 (from the album Some Ambulance)
- 34:20 Loren Dent - Ecstasy of Morning (from the album Anthopology extras)
- 40:50 Ave Maria stretched
- 42:50 Billy Gomberg - Verse (from the album Days)
- 47:50 Volcano Choir - Husks & Shells (from the album unmap)
- 51:00 Chihei Hatakeyama - Landscape on a Hill (from the album Saunter)
- 59:22 end
October 4th, 2009
One of my favorite mixes from last year was Sustain & Decay. It was fun digging up old recordings & mixing them with new releases.
So I decided to do a follow-up, with the result being "revenants of the past". It follows the same basic formula of last years mix(which was also released in October). I browsed through a ton of files at archive.org, looking for things like old vinyl records & Edison cylinder recordings from as far back as 1888. I mixed these recordings with current music that either sounds old or in some cases actually uses old recordings as a sound source to be manipulated into something new.
In the last mix The Caretaker figured prominently and here too there is an extended track in the middle of this sequel mix. The track is an excerpt from a mix James Leyland Kirby, AKA The Caretaker, did for Fact Magazine.
I think "revenants" is a good mix of familiar & unfamiliar artists here. I had to get William Basinksi's Disintegration Loops in somewhere & so the mix closes with a track from Loops #2.
Enjoy the entropy.
T R A C K L I S T :