April 22nd, 2017
"Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives."
- Carl Sagan
I have always loved Carl Sagan's "Pale Blue Dot" essay. It's even better hearing his voice reading it. In the Cosmos reboot from a couple of years ago, when they played a clip of Carl I actually cried. Yes, I am a huge dork. So needless to say, Sagan reading about the pale blue dot gets me every time.
There are a ton of videos on youtube combining his quotes with music & images. Some are quite good, some use horrible cheesy music or hokey stock photos. I thought, heck I'm a video editor, I'll make my own video. But then I realized how sometimes the images can detract from the prose.
So I decided to combine Sagan's Pale Blue Dot with one of my all-time favorite pieces of music - Max Richter's "On the Nature of Daylight." The next step was to use that mashup to lead off a mix dedicated to Earth Day 2017 & the coinciding March for Science. If you look at the track titles the theme is obvious.
I eventually did make a video to go with the mashup. But it's just one image. It's a pic taken by the Cassini spacecraft from just beyond Saturn. It's Pale Blue Dot 2.0 if you will. The video is just one long slow pull from earth out to the full image.
Take a look here...
Enjoy the mix, Earth Day and remember - Science not Silence.
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00:00 Carl Sagan & Max Richter - Pale Blue Dot & On the Nature of Daylight
- 05:05 Jim Cole & Spectral Voices - Hear Earth
- 08:00 Steve Roach - On This Planet
- 15:20 Map & Diagrams - Particles of Earth
- 18:10 A Small Good Thing - Scorched Earth
- 23:15 Adam Pacione - Warming Trend
- 25:27 Shuttle358 - Melt
- 30:10 Jeff Greinke - Changing Skies
- 32:50 Brian Eno - Climate Study
- 35:30 J. Ralph - The Glaciers Are Telling
- 37:20 Michael Brook - Earth Alone
- 39:20 Mathias Grassow - Planetary Consciousness
- 43:45 Lav & Purl - Earthship
- 49:50 Robert Scott Thompson - Pale Blue Dot
- 65:00 end
April 16th, 2017
I love moody guitar music with a bit of dust and twang. In an earlier mix, Mysterioso, I included a cut by Dead Combo. Their music was new to me. I was interested to learn from a listener that they are from Portugal and have achieved cult status there.
That listener directed me to a mix he'd done with a Dead Combo track. I love the mix, you find it here... https://www.mixcloud.com/jorgempaulino/here-it-begins/ His other mixes are excellent as well.
After hearing that mix I just knew I had to create a guitar based mix that was a bit spaghetti western and dusty, moody, twangy with a little Latin feel. The result is this new mix - Guitarissimo. I stole that title from an album by Roxy Music guitarist, Phil Manzanera, who also has a track in the mix. I tried not to steal too much from the "Here It Begins" mix but I just had to use the Yo La Tengo song from that mix in this one too.
I really like how this turned out and I hope to do a follow up sometime.
T R A C K L I S T :
00:00 Dead Combo - Aquele Beijo Eterno
01:50 Ry Cooder - Paris, TX
04:15 Daniel Lanois - Satie
08:14 Yo La Tengo - Green Arrow
13:18 Ocelote Rojo - Untitled #1
15:55 Phil Manzanera - Criollo
20:42 Calexico - The news about William
23:10 TSU! - The Sun Club
26:10 David Sylvian - Silver Moon Over Sleeping Steeples
27:55 Matt Borghi - Truth and Being
32:20 The MDH Band - Bathtub
33:15 Eraldo Bernocchi and Prakash Sontakke - From Star to Star
38:15 Dead Combo - Quando a alma nao e pequena
40:50 Brian Eno - Weightless
45:00 Cyber Zen Sound Engine - No East, No West
50:30 Danial Lanois - Plains of Abraham
52:43 William Ryan Fritch - Siri Song
54:38 Peals - Blue Elvis
59:03 Calexico - Amor Adolescente
59:40 Dead Combo - Ana
61:55 TSU! - Dadebe
63:50 One Mile North - Parents Arrive
April 9th, 2017
I haven't done a Sunday morning mix in quite a while so volume 14 solves that problem.
This follows the usual Sunday morning mix template of a few vocal tunes, some ambient tunes and a bit of jazz. I was happy to finally use Shenandoah in a mix. More than a year ago I was at a local high school spring concert and fell in love with the concert band version of this tune. I know it may sound out of place in a Low Light mix but I think it's beauty fits well with the Sunday morning series.
In addition to Shenandoah there is new music from Hite, Grails, The Delia Derbyshire Appreciation Society, Clocolan and fairly new music from Radiohead & Olafur Arnalds. And a nice old classic from Max Roach & Clifford Brown.
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00:00 Olafur Arnalds - Particles
- 03:48 Grails - Rebecca
- 07:10 Sarah Neufeld & Colin Stetson - And still they move
- 09:56 Frank Ticheli - Shenandoah
- 16:20 Dan Romer & Benh Zeitlin - Once there was a hushpuppy
- 22:48 Fripp & Eno - Evening Star(The Delia Derbyshire Appreciation Society interpretation)
- 28:57 Clocolan - Obsolete Advancement
- 34:25 Orchestre National de Jazz - Révolution
- 43:20 Clifford Brown & Max Roach - Delilah
- 51:02 The Still - The Early Bird
- 58:42 Hite - Old Crow
- 62:15 Radiohead - True Love Waits
- 66:52 end
April 1st, 2017
One of my favorite things about making these mixes for ten years is the people I've come in contact with. I stay in touch with folks from Ireland, The Netherlands, Canada, Brazil or just down the road in Chicago.
This mix comes from one these online friends, Josh Furey. He did a previous guest mix for Low Light Mixes called Cartridge, which you can find here...
I'll let Josh tell you about it...
As a relative newcomer to ambient music in 2012, I was immensely lucky to stumble across Low Light Mixes. It can be pretty overwhelming when you start to explore a new genre of music and over the years Low Light Mixes has supplied me with a wildly diverse mix of ambient music to enjoy while also serving as an amazing resource for the genre music that now dominates any playlist I put together.
If you are a frequent listener to Low Light you will recognize a lot of the artists I chose for this mix and hopefully there are some new names for you to check out as well. Off Worlder is my way of saying thank you to Dave for introducing me to so many amazing artists over the years and keeping Low Light going for over 10 years.
I hope you enjoy.
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00:00 - Exerpt from Blade Runner
- 00:19 - Vegyn - Unknown (https://soundcloud.com/Vegyn)
- 03:19 - Kyle Dixon & Michael Stein- In Pursuit (https://survive.bandcamp.com/)
- 0:4:30 - 36 - Shadow Play (http://3six.net/album/shadow-play)
- 08:23 - Goldmund - Turncoat (https://goldmund.bandcamp.com/track/turncoat)
- 11:29 - Suplington - Love (https://soundcloud.com/suplington)
- 15:27 - Julie London - Bouquet Of Blues (https://www.discogs.com/Julie-London-bout-The-Blues/release/1378929)
- 16:14 - Burial - Forgive (https://burial.bandcamp.com/track/forgive)
- 17:48 - Mark Pritchard - ? (https://markpritchard.bandcamp.com/)
- 22:15 - In Aeternam Vale - Drones (https://dement3d.bandcamp.com/track/drones)
- 24:17 - Ben Salisbury & Geoff Barrow - Ava (https://www.discogs.com/Ben-Salisbury-And-Geoff-Barrow-Ex_Machina-Original-Motion-Picture-Soundtrack/release/7007937)
- 26:35 - Vangelis - Spiral (https://www.discogs.com/Vangelis-Spiral/release/1493684)
- 27:11 - Biosphere - Sphere Of No-Form https://biosphere.bandcamp.com/track/sphere-of-no-form)
- 29:29 - Thore Pfeiffer - Good Life (https://kompakt.bandcamp.com/album/pop-ambient-2017)
- 34:53 - Aphex Twin - Stone In Focus (https://boomkat.com/products/selected-ambient-works-volume-ii-limited-triple-vinyl-reissue)
- 36:55 - Corey Allen + Marcus Fischer - Two/Twenty-Two/Eighty-Two(https://twotwentytwo.bandcamp.com/album/two-twenty-two)
- 39:27 - Murcof - Una (https://murcofmusic.bandcamp.com/album/martes-utop-a)
41:02 - Offthesky & Pleq - A Thousand Fields https://infraction.bandcamp.com/album/a-thousand-fields)
- 43:02 - 2814 - 新しい日の誕生 (https://dreamcatalogue.bandcamp.com/album/--18)
- 44:10 - Marsen Jules - Through Blood and Fire (https://marsenjules.bandcamp.com/track/through-blood-and-fire)
- 46:40 - The Beautiful Schizophonic - Prayers (https://dynamophone.bandcamp.com/album/belkiss)
- 48:22 - Nils Frahm - Says(https://nilsfrahm.bandcamp.com/album/spaces)
- 51:57 - Synkro - Overture (https://synkro.bandcamp.com/track/overture)
March 25th, 2017
This week marks the final transmission of the wonderful record label, City Centre Offices. Their style of electronic music was new to me at the time and I devoured their releases with a rapacious glee. I think I have somewhere between 40 - 50 CCO recordings.
City Centre Offices has been silent for a number of years and I hate to admit that I'd sort of forgotten about them. But now this week brings one final release, Boy Robot - Final Transmission. So with the end of CCO officially here, I thought I'd collect a few favorites in a new mix. There is so much great music that came from CCO that I could have done mixes that were hours long but I kept this one to the standard 1 hour.
Great stories, insight and music in that ASIP reminiscence. The good folks at ASIP also put together a terrific Spotify playlist of CCO music.
I hope you enjoy this little stroll down memory lane as much as I did.
T R A C K L I S T:
- 0:00 Arovane - A Secret
- 04:00 Casino versus Japan - Late for School
- 09:45 Herrmann & Kleine - Transalpin
- 15:40 Ulrich Schnauss - Between Us & Them
- 22:00 Xela - Softness of Senses
- 26:06 Christian Kleine - Guitar Interrupt
- 29:48 Dub Tractor - 50Hz Guitar
- 35:17 Opiate - Open
- 37:26 Boy Robot - Glamorizing Corporate Lifestyle
- 40:40 Bitstream - Stream One
- 44:40 Styrofoam - Cashier Escape Song
- 50:33 Dictaphone - Dictaphone II
- 53:24 Swod - Intro
- 54:14 Marsen Jules - Chanson Du Soir
- 58:42 Ulrich Schnauss - Gone Forever
- 66:23 END
March 9th, 2017
I haven't had time lately for new mixes but I wanted to get something up on Mixcloud so I thought I'd resurrect an old mix. This mix was originally done 10 years ago. Yikes! I can't believe I've been doing this that long.
There were a few tracks in the original mix that I didn't really like anymore so I added a few new ones and took out a few old cuts. The new tracks are by Tilman Robinson, Loess, Murcof & Venessa Wagner, and Delia Derbyshire Appreciation Society.
I hope to get back on track with new mixes coming more frequently. There's also a guest mix coming very soon.
T R AC K L I S T :
- 00:00 Tilman Robinson - Bathed in Her
- 05:55 Michael Brook - Earth Alone
- 07:25 Windy & Carl - Akimatsuri
- 12:25 Underworld & Gabriel Yared - St. Pancras
- 15:45 Loess - Striae
- 20:15 Oblong - Rendevous
- 23:22 Rafael Anton Irisarri - Waking Expectations
- 29:25 Green Kingdom - Autumn Toadlick
- 35:15 Xela - Bobble Hats in Summer
- 40:20 Chihei Hatakeyama - Granular Haze
- 43:10 Daisuke Miyatani - Yu
- 44:10 Eluvium | Requium on Frankfort Ave.
- 46:25 Dollboy | Hatterjax
- 51:25 Murcof & Vanessa Wagner - Aphex Twin Avril 14th.
- 55:10 Delia Derbyshire Appreciation Society - Half Light
January 26th, 2017
The title of this mix pretty much says it all - this is a collection of excellent tracks from excellent science fiction films.
This isn't meant to be definitive as in "The Best SciFi Soundtracks of All Time!" It's just some of my favorite music from some of my favorite sci fi films. I purposely stayed away from stuff like Star Wars, Star Trek, Close Encounters and 2001. Those are a little too recognizable and most of the time don't fit with the ambient feel of this mix.
I just had to start the mix with what may be my all time favorite sci fi soundtrack - Solaris by Cliff Martinez. I like the movie pretty well but the soundtrack is what really made that film for me. Another soundtrack that I absolutely had to include is Arrival from Johann Johannsson. Easily my favorite film of last year and the soundtrack made me love it even more. A lot of the music in this mix is fairly new, released within the last ten years or so. The exception being the tracks from Blade Runner and Dune.
Are there any sci fi soundtracks that I should check out for further mixes? Any favorite sci fi film music that you have? Let me know in the comments.
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00:00 Cliff Martinez - First Sleep(Solaris)
- 02:42 Clint Mansell - Welcome to Lunar Industries(Moon)
- 06:00 Ben Salisbury & Geoff Barrow - The Turing Test(Ex Machina)
- 07:10 Harry Gregson-Williams - Watney's Alive(The Martian)
- 09:50 Jon Hopkins - Campfire(Monsters)
- 11:30 M83 - Starwaves(Oblivion)
- 14:38 Johann Johannsson - Arrival(Arrival)
- 17:00 Steven Price - Aningaaq(Gravity)
- 21:00 Vangelis - Fading Away(Blade Runner)
- 23:33 Toto - Paul Meets Chani(Dune)
- 26:25 Clint Mansell - First Snow(The Fountain)
- 29:17 Max Richter - Nocturne(Black Mirror)
- 31:05 Johann Johannsson - Kangaru(Arrival)
- 33:36 Underworld - Capa's Last Transmission(Sunshine)
- 35:27 Brian Eno - Prophecy Theme(Dune)
- 39:36 John Tavener - Mother & Child(Children of Men)
- 42:55 Hans Zimmer - Where We're Going(Intersteller)
- 45:41 Ben Salisbury & Geoff Barrow - Other Dreamers(Black Mirror)
- 46:31 Kyle Dixon & Michael Stein - Eleven(Stranger Things)
- 49:35 Arcade Fire - Morning Talk/Supersymmetry(Her)
- 53:15 Daft Punk - Solar Sailer(Tron 2)
- 55:40 Ben Salisbury & Geoff Barrow - Bunsen Burner(Ex Machina)
- 58:34 Ramin Djawadi - Exit Music(for a film)(Westworld)
- 62:58 end
January 9th, 2017
I think the last time I posted a snow mix I said that when I think of music to go with snow I think of piano music. Maybe it's from years of hearing Vince Guaraldi's Peanuts Christmas album or George Winston's December album. Whatever the reason, I immediately go to the piano for snow music.
So that is again the dominant instrument in this mix. Most of the music here is fairly new which includes the Roedelius tune from 2015 - "Gently Falling Snow." Obviously I stole the title for this mix but I think this collection really does have a nice feeling of "gently falling snow."
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00:00 Sonmi451 - I Didn't Know That Cats Could Grin
- 05:00 Olafur Arnalds - Dalur
- 08:10 Johann Johannsson - The Drowned World
- 10:12 Rachel's - NY Snow Globe
- 12:30 Roedelius - Gently Falling Snow
- 14:33 Jason Van Wyk - Kept
- 17:50 Olafur Arnalds - For Now I Am Winter
- 21:35 Chihei Hatakeyama - Coastal Railroads in Memories
- 27:10 Andrew Heath - Requiem
- 34:15 James Murray - Particles
- 39:21 Sonmi451 - Oh My Ears & Whiskers
- 43:30 James Murray - Eyes to the Height
- 47:39 Mike Lazarev - Absent
- 50:00 Taylor Duepree - Snow(dusk dawn)
- 55:20 Jason Van Wyk - Stay
- 58:18 Nils Frahm - Less
- 63:40 end
December 20th, 2016
Every year I make two lists of my favorites albums of the year. One list is generally indie music and the other is ambient/instrumental. Even though I have a difficult time deciding on the final group it is easier coming up with the indie list than it is for ambient. Maybe it's because after a year of music they all tend to blur together and sound the same. There are definitely some stand outs, like the two releases from Johann Johannsson this year. But generally it's tough to make a list because there are a lot of quality recordings every year.
As hard as it is, it's still a lot of fun digging through a ton of releases to find my favorites and then out them together in a coherent mix. The tracks don't appear in any particular order. I just figured out what cuts sounded good together. Not all the tracks from my best of list made into the mix because that's just the way mixes go sometimes.
Here's the list, I'd love to hear about your favorite albums of the year, tell me about them in the comments.
BEST AMBIENT/INSTRUMENTAL OF 2016:
- 1. Johann Johannsson - Orphee
- 2. Ryuichi Sakamoto And Alva Noto - The Revenant OST
- 3. Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith - Ears
- 4. Paul Haslinger - Halt & Catch Fire OST
- 5. The Green Kingdom - Harbor
- 6. Kyle Dixon & Michael Stein - Stranger Things Season 1, Vol. 1
- 7. Olafur Arnalds - Island Songs
- 8. Huerco S. - for those of you who have never (and also those who have)
- 9. Yagya - Stars And Dust
- 10. Johann Johannsson - Arrival OST Coppice Halifax - Green Shape
- 11. Coppice Halifax - Green Shape
- 12. 36 - The Infinity Room
- 13. Loscil - Monument Builders
- 14. Oddisee - The Odd tape
- 15. Olan Mill - Land Cycle
- 16. Pye Corner Audio - Stasis
- 17. Piers Faccini - no one's here
- 18. Voces8 - Winter
- 19. Marconi Union - ghost stations
- 20. Mac Quayle - Mr. Robot, Vol. 1 OST
- 21. AXX - Command Z
- 22. Rezo Glonti - Budapest
- 23. Riverrun - Romer Shoal
- 24. Daniel Lanois - Goodbye To Language
- 25. Spheruleus - Sundials
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00:00 The Green Kingdom - Haze Layers
- 06:46 Huerco S. - The Sacred Dance
- 12:10 Yagya - Motes in the Moonlight
- 16:25 Piers Faccini - no one's here 1
- 20:00 Marconi Union - Shadow Scheme
- 22:30 Johann Johannsson - A Song for Europa
- 24:34 Olan Mill - Part 2
- 27:35 Loscil - Weeds
- 32:58 Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith - Existence in the Unfurling
- 43:36 Paul Haslinger - It's Not Right
- 44:41 Kyle Dixon & Michael Stein - This Isn't You
- 46:50 Ólafur Arnalds - Raddir
- 50:00 36 - Room 8
- 52:25 Coppice Halifax - Green Shape phase 4
- 57:10 Rezo Glonti - Pulse Added Two
- 62:10 Heavenchord - Night Waterline
- 67:13 Daniel Lanois - Time On
- 72:10 AXX - Prelude
- 73:31 Riverrun - Weehawken
- 76:00 Ryuichi Sakamoto & Alva Noto - The Revenant Theme(Noto remodel)
- 79:33 Johann Johannsson - Arrival
- 81:33 end
December 10th, 2016
I've been on a big Johann Johnnsson kick lately. He released one of my favorite albums of the year "Orphee" a few months ago and now he has scored the excellent film "Arrival." It is a wonderful soundtrack that really adds to an already fantastic film.
Johannsson tells the story of how he made the first track in this mix, "Heptpod B," at Song Exploder here...
That new soundtrack is the jumping off point for this cinematic mix. All the music used was released this year with the exception of tracks from "The Martian" & "The Revenant" which are 2015 recordings. All these soundtracks are superb and I hope you will seek out the full albums. I've included the name of the film in the tracklist.
T R A C K L I S T :
⦁ 00:00 Johann Johannsson - Heptapod B(Arrival)
⦁ 03:25 Nick Cave & Warren Ellis - Daedalus(Mars)
⦁ 06:15 Harry Gregson-Williams - Message from Hermes(The Martian)
⦁ 08:50 Adam Bryanbaum Wiltzie - Bring This Place to Life(Salero)
⦁ 11:30 A Winged Victory for the Sullen - Metro, pt.3(Iris)
⦁ 15:05 Mac Quayle - leavem3here.flac(Mr. Robot)
⦁ 20:10 Starkey - Ticks(Charting Stardust)
⦁ 24:15 Paul Haslinger - Security is a Myth(Halt & Catch Fire)
⦁ 26:45 Ramin Djawadi - Something I Can Never Have(Westworld)
⦁ 32:10 Adam Bryanbaum Wiltzie - Lithium, the new era(Salero)
⦁ 35:20 A Winged Victory for the Sullen - Flashback Antoine(Iris)
⦁ 37:15 Dustin O'Halloran & Hauschka - Memories(Lion)
⦁ 38:40 Adam Bryanbaum Wiltzie - end credits(Salero)
⦁ 41:25 Johann Johannsson - One of Twelve(Arrival)
⦁ 44:05 Riuichi Sakamoto - Glass & Buffalo(The Revenant)
⦁ 45:40 Nick Cave & Warren Ellis - Mama's Room(Hell or High Water)
⦁ 47:55 A Winged Victory for the Sullen - endless battle of the maudlin ballade, pt. 3(Iris)
⦁ 50:25 Ramin Djawadi - Exit Music(Westworld)
⦁ 54:47 end