April 16th, 2017
I love moody guitar music with a bit of dust and twang. In an earlier mix, Mysterioso, I included a cut by Dead Combo. Their music was new to me. I was interested to learn from a listener that they are from Portugal and have achieved cult status there.
That listener directed me to a mix he'd done with a Dead Combo track. I love the mix, you find it here... https://www.mixcloud.com/jorgempaulino/here-it-begins/ His other mixes are excellent as well.
After hearing that mix I just knew I had to create a guitar based mix that was a bit spaghetti western and dusty, moody, twangy with a little Latin feel. The result is this new mix - Guitarissimo. I stole that title from an album by Roxy Music guitarist, Phil Manzanera, who also has a track in the mix. I tried not to steal too much from the "Here It Begins" mix but I just had to use the Yo La Tengo song from that mix in this one too.
I really like how this turned out and I hope to do a follow up sometime.
T R A C K L I S T :
00:00 Dead Combo - Aquele Beijo Eterno
01:50 Ry Cooder - Paris, TX
04:15 Daniel Lanois - Satie
08:14 Yo La Tengo - Green Arrow
13:18 Ocelote Rojo - Untitled #1
15:55 Phil Manzanera - Criollo
20:42 Calexico - The news about William
23:10 TSU! - The Sun Club
26:10 David Sylvian - Silver Moon Over Sleeping Steeples
27:55 Matt Borghi - Truth and Being
32:20 The MDH Band - Bathtub
33:15 Eraldo Bernocchi and Prakash Sontakke - From Star to Star
38:15 Dead Combo - Quando a alma nao e pequena
40:50 Brian Eno - Weightless
45:00 Cyber Zen Sound Engine - No East, No West
50:30 Danial Lanois - Plains of Abraham
52:43 William Ryan Fritch - Siri Song
54:38 Peals - Blue Elvis
59:03 Calexico - Amor Adolescente
59:40 Dead Combo - Ana
61:55 TSU! - Dadebe
63:50 One Mile North - Parents Arrive
March 6th, 2016
I believe I have professed my love for ambient guitar in previous posts here. So a mix like this is no surprise. Just as many of the artists collected in this mix are no surprise. Dirk Serries, Scott Solter, David Tagg, Windy & Carl, Kyle Bobby Dunn, Fripp & Eno - these are all artists that have appeared in many of my mixes over the years.
The music here is fairly straightforward - ambient tunes where the guitar is the most prominent instrument. Some of the cuts are beautiful, others a bit darker, but all will easily transport the listener to a favorite meditative place.
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00:00 Tonepoet - Headspace
- 07:00 Chas Smith - False Clarity
- 10:50 A Lily - Hunter and Sky
- 13:45 David Tollefson - Pattern of Islands
- 16:45 Jasper Tx - Embers
- 21:10 Fripp and Eno - Heavenly Music Corp(half speed)
- 26:20 Dirk Serries - The Lament Broke
- 36:40 Kyle Bobby Dunn - The Hungover
- 46:25 Robin Guthrie - Misty
- 49:45 Matt Borghi - The Elysian Plain
- 54:27 Sleep Robot - Prayer Wheel
- 1:00:37 Windy and Carl - Ode to a Dog
- 1:04:50 Gareth Hardwick - Five Points
- 1:14:14 David Tagg - Wolf Suite III
- 1:17:55 Hakobune - A Distant Loss
- 1:24:10 Shaula - Sea of Trees
- 1:27:27 Manual - Always Alone
- 1:33:36 Brian Siskind - Graham Bell
- 1:38:00 Koda - Moment on the South Shore
- 1:42:10 Scott Solter - The Palace Wedding
- 1:46:10 Dirk Serries - Radiant Down
- 1:54:36 end
September 29th, 2010
These are songs that conjure up images of wind blown landscapes, tumbleweeds, sunbleached rocks, dusty roads and heat waves rising off the ground. Of course most of the music in this mix has an ambient/atmospheric feel.
I remember the first time I heard Daniel Lanois' use of slide guitar on "Apollo - Atmospheres & Soundtracks", I hated it. I guess I thought of the slide guitar as too close to "country music" which I definitely hated.
Well over the years I've come around on the slide guitar, I love it now. I'm still not a big country music fan, though I do have a ton of Johnny Cash recordings. I've come to appreciate the lonely, melancholy feel that can be expressed through twangy, dusty western music. Of course the ultimate in great ambient twang is Ry Cooder's "Paris, TX" soundtrack. That makes an appearance in this mix along with standbys like Lanois, Steve Roach & A Small Good Thing. I was happy to sneak in a piano tune, "Alice & twins" by Japancakes. It just sort of fit with the overall feel & then the slide guitar comes in to make it even more "dusty".
Whether it's the twang of an acoustic guitar, the wail of a harmonica or the ethereal sound of a slide guitar, this mix will drop you off on an abandoned rail line in the middle of nowhere.
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00:00 Earth - left in the desert
- 00:45 George Winston - Farewell
- 01:50 Ry Cooder - nothing out there
- 03:00 Chas Smith - an hour out of desert center
- 03:50 Bill Frisell - lonely man
- 04:52 p.g. six - 6 for wire, strung harp with slide
- with Steve Roach buried underneath
- 06:15 A Small Good Thing - drowning light
- 09:00 Daniel Lanois - Asylum
- 11:30 Steve Roach & Roger King - rain & creosote
- 15:30 Six Organs of Admittance - oak path
- 18:50 Balmorhea - Palestrina
- 20:10 Steve Tibbetts - kili-ki drok
- 21:10 Balmorhea - on the weight of the night
- 25:00 Esmerine - There Were No Footprints In The Dust Behind Them
- 27:35 Badgerlore - goodnight, sweet rabbits
- 29:20 Chronomad - aksak
- 33:50 Ennio Morricone - man with a harmonica
- 34:10 Japancakes - Alice & twins
- 37:50 Steve Roach - new moon at forbidden mesa
- 38:20 Loren Mazzacane Connors - lullaby (the 1st)
- 40:10 July Skies - branch line summers fade
- 41:45 end
November 18th, 2007
I am starting to repeat myself. I've done two piano mixes, two string theory mixes, two winter mixes and now a second guitar mix. I decided to do a new guitar mix because I seem to have come across a lot of good guitar music lately.
All the tracks on this mix are new, from either 2006 or 2007. The music ranges from electric to acoustic. Originally I intended to do a feedback-filled guitarscape like a long Peter Wright song. But in the end the music in this mix is fairly straight forward. Some is ambient, some is pretty, some is droney(is that a word?).
I hope you enjoy it.
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00:00 - 00:50 Peter Broderick - Balloon Bomb
- 00:50 - 02:00 twinsistermoon - I wish I could drown the world in reverberation
- 02:00 - 08:20 Robert Fripp - Tallinn
- 08:20 - 20:30 Meursault - Sleeping Debris
- 20:30 - 23:30 Origamibiro - Gathers in Puddles
- 23:30 - 25:30 Wooden Spoon - Untitled #10
- 25:30 - 30:20 Wixel - Nowhere
- 30:20 - 33:40 Brian Grainger - wind calmly bends our hair
- 33:40 - 36:20 Hisato Higuchi - Kizauto
- 36:20 - 40:30 øjeRum - tonerum
- 40:30 - 41:40 Area C - Daymarks
- 41:40 - 45:10 Peter Wright - Folk Song for Contradiction
- 45:10 - 49:20 Christopher Flores - Farewell Son
- 49:20 - 53:30 Oren Armbachi - fever, a warm poison
- 53:30 - 59:20 Meursault - Mirror
- 59:20 - 02:20 Six Organs of Admittance - Goodnight
- 02:20 - 04:30 Wooden Spoon - Untitled #1