This mix started nearly two years ago when I created a playlist on Spotify called "Sax is Back." In there I collected tracks that used a saxophone as a main instrument and had an ambient vibe. I was careful to not let the tunes devolve into Kenny G on the beach schlock. But I still wasn't sure if an entire mix of sax tunes would work, but, I gotta say, this mix turned out really well. It's cohesive and a nice variation on straight forward ambient.
One caveat - I'm not entirely sure that the instrument in every song is indeed a saxophone. Soprano sax can sometimes sound like an oboe so there may be a couple of times where that may happen. But I don't really care, I just love the sound of this whole mix.
A few of my favorite tracks in the mix are:
- Blue Chamber by Mute Forest from the excellent new album, Riderstorm, on Lost Tribe Sound.
- A Break in the Clouds by Andrew Heath from Soundings
- Music for Airports by Delta Saxophone Quartet from Bowie, Berlin & Beyond
I hope you enjoy this slight detour into ambient sax.
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00:00 Tortusa & Breistein - Mind Vessel 
- 05:30 Joseph Shabason - Long Swim 
- 09:45 Anenon - Panes 
- 12:34 Ben Bertrand - The Manmaipo 
- 16:40 Daniel Thorne - Fear of Floating 
- 18:52 Mute Forest - Blue Chamber 
- 21:42 Andrew Heath - A Break In The Clouds 
- 27:57 Jefre Cantu-Ledesma - Joy 
- 32:40 Rauelsson - Marbles 
- 35:03 Donny McCaslin - Warszawa 
- 38:00 Dylan Howe - Art Decade 
- 42:10 Delta Saxophone Quartet - Subterraneans 
- 47:50 Anenon - Mansana 
- 50:28 Tortusa & Breistein - Ladder 
- 53:43 Ben Bertrand - Those Behind Us That We Follow 
- 58:28 Delta Saxophone Quartet - Music for Airports 
- 64:05 end