The inspiration for this mix came from Mike Lazarev of Headphone Commute. Last year he discovered an old hard drive with some of his old mixes from around 2006. Called fiftmuziek sessions, he posted some online and you can find them here...
They focus on classic IDM & ambient electronica from that era & they are fantastic.
One of the mixes that Mike uncovered from that same time period featured albums from Native State artists Rena Jones and Shen. I fell in love with this mix. I played it non-stop for a few weeks and I knew that at some point I'd make a mix that used some of those tunes. Here is Mike's mix titles Resplendent...
My mix, The Passing Storm, takes its name from the track by Rena Jones which opens the mix. The sound is classic IDM. Most of the tunes are from 2001 - 2007 with the exception of the Autechre & Plastikman cuts. Even though "Bike" is 10 years older I just couldn't do an IDM mix without Autechre.
I am very happy with how this mix turned out. I'll definitely have to crank out another one later this year.
Also, just a quick reminder that there is now an easy way to support me & the artists in these mixes. It's called Mixcloud Select and you can find out more here...
T R A C K L I S T :
- 00:00 Rena Jones - The Passing Storm(2006)
- 05:00 Shen - Main Springs(2006)
- 08:44 Autechre - Bike(1994)
- 13:27 Brothomstates - Mdrmx(2001)
- 17:36 Lusine - Jetstream(2007)
- 22:40 AM/PM - the ends 4(2004)
- 29:10 Farben - A Famous Myth(2003)
- 34:05 Plastikman - Pakard(1998)
- 44:25 Rena Jones - Driftwood(2006)
- 50:47 Jan Jelinek - Tendency(2001)
- 57:27 end